October 3, 2016
A Principal's Perspective
Watch the trailer below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4l3-_yub5A Did you notice the quote right off the bat? "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them." by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
In listening to principals from other schools and taking the pulse of the campus, we are postponing our initial plans for Tuesday. We are going to work on our GT hours while going to the movies! We are going to see Queen of Katwe. We will be joining Forest Ridge and Spring Creek at the Premiere Cinema in Bryan. Please arrive by 12:30 to the theater. Your ticket will be given to you Tuesday morning. Queen of Katwe is based on a true story. You will see a child overcome obstacles, stereotypes, and learn how to be a champion by strategizing! This story helps us reflect back to our August staff development when we heard the story of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. In her Ted Talk, https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story ,
she emphasizes the power of not only a story, but in the sharing of stories. Both stories remind us to overcome deficit thinking and imagine the possibilities. Queen of Katwe is also a powerful story of the impact one person can make in the life of a child. I think we will leave inspired and reflective about our own practice as educators!
Be Innovative - Design the possibilities!
Morning Duties of the Week
Morning Assembly (7:20): Brice
Gym (7:20): LeBlanc
Cafeteria (7:20): Fortner
Bus (7:15 - Buses/ Cafeteria after all buses arrive): McMurry
Parent Drop Off Direct Traffic (7:20): McMurray
Parent Drop Off Car Doors (7:20): McGregor & C. Anderson
Counselor Schedule: Small Groups
Librarian: at GP
Week at a Glance
Campus Social Focus: Mustang Spirit (video link: http://safari.csisd.org/SAFARI/generated/embedlinks/fe133a14a132a0b63a5df0a35edd1bd1.mp4 ) I Integrity
Monday: Parent Conference Day
Tuesday: Staff Development Day - See below for more details
Wednesday: Tech & Specialists Open Office Hours 3:15-4:15; SPED Campus Meeting 3:30-4:30 Science Lab (We will not be able to meet on Tuesday.)
Thursday: Fall Picture Day; SIT Group #5 (Simmons/Hughes/S. Rhine); Brave 3:15-4:15
Friday: Grade Level Meetings during conference time - Reflections of Queen of Katwe
News & Notes
- GP Social Dues: Dues are $25 for full-time staff, $12.50 for part-time staff and $15 for paraprofessionals. Please pay your grade level Social Rep. by Monday, October 31st. Please see below for guidelines that guide our activities and gifts.
- Socktober & Halloween Costume Donations: Drive for socks, underwear, and Halloween costumes for Chrissy's Closet. Socks & underwear donation dropped off in office. Halloween Costumes dropped of with Kids Klub.
- Fall Party: Don't miss it! Our GP staff party will be at the Bryan Lake Ice House (link: http://www.lakebryan.com/ ). The Rock-A-Fellas will be the live band! (link: http://rockafellasband.com/). The lake is relaxing, music is awesome, food is great! Come on out with your guest to enjoy the beautiful fall weather and great fellowship with your colleagues. The Social Committee and Activity fund will pay for each GP staff member and one guest for the cover charge. See link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e49afa629abfc1-gpstaff
Staff Days - Monday & Tuesday
Start of day for both days: 8:00. Ending time for each day: 3:30. Dress is casual - jeans/capris. Shorts okay for Tuesday. Please note: We are not able to approve personal days for these two days. We want to keep these days in future years especially the parent conference day.
Monday - Parent conferences, work in rooms while not conferencing. Paras can work in classrooms. Specialists Leadership Meeting @ 1:30. AED Drill for safety team @ 3:00. AED drill will begin in the nurse's office.
Tuesday: Please note changes.
8:00 - Meet in Cafeteria for quick notes for the day. (Tech forms, SPED form)
8:15-9:45: Instructional Content Planning with Team
9:45-11:15: Work in Rooms
11:15-12:30: Lunch on Own
12:30-3:00: Premiere Cinema in Bryan - If you would like refreshments, they will be available for regular movie prices.
SPED meeting changed to Wednesday afternoon at 3:30.
All About the Social Committee
Mustang Yee Haws!
I would like to share some e-mail comments from parents about the new traffic pattern.
* "You and your teachers are doing a great job under the circumstances. Hang in there."
*" I figured you guys had it under control, you always do."
*" Thank you for everything that you do for our kiddos! I can't brag on you and GP enough. Y'all are just the best!"
* "Thanks for all you do for our children." (talking about GP staff)
* "We are new to your campus and we plan to be with you for 7 years. ...(little one at home). ... Please know we have noticed that your staff is enthusiastic and happy to be teaching. I know this comes from the top, you! It is evident that you hire the best talent. We appreciate you. Your teachers are engaged with the students." Please note my response to this parent: "Thank you also for the staff feedback. They are leaders in education and very passionate about teaching kids. They are the ones that make great things happen for our students!"
* "This traffic change does relieve the anxiety of the new school coming!"
* Talking about the staff: "Thank you for your hard work and dedication to our teachers & kids at GP. Our children are having a WONDERFUL experience. I believe the new traffic pattern will be much safer for everyone!! Just know, your effort, dedication & commitment DO NOT go UNNOTICED!!!!"
I also want to extend my gratitude for all staff pitching in and helping this traffic change to be successful!