A Middle East Religion
Followers of Judaism, called Jews, believe in one God-the God of Abraham. They call him Adonai, in Hebrew. This is a monotheistic religion. It orginated in Israel. There is a document called the Torah. It was given to the Jews by Moses.
- There is only one God.
- Follow the 10 commandments.
- Study the Torah.
- Shabbat- described as bride or queen. It is the only ritual observance instituted in the 10 commandments. It is a day of rest and spiritual enrichment
- Kashrut- is Jewish dietary law. It contains many rules.
- Bar Mitzvah- Jews become responsible for observing the commandments at the age of 13 for boys, 12 for girls, some synagogues have an additional celebration called confirmation
Place Of Worship
The place of worship for Jews is called synagogue.
The worship leaders that lead the synagogue are called Rabbi.
Judaism's holy book is callled the Torah.
- Chanukah commemorates the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem after a group of Jewish warriors defeated the occupying mighty Greek armies.
- Passover (Pesach) celebrates the deliverance of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt.
- Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year. It is the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve, and a day of judgement and coronation of God as king.