SCHS Music Notes
October 14, 2019
Picture Day is MONDAY, October 28th
Studio 94 will be taking our ensemble pictures during the class period on Monday, Oct. 28th. Students, please remember to bring the following items with you to school:
- Your Concert Black Attire (as outlined in the syllabus)
- DON'T FORGET YOUR DRESS SHOES
- Your Instrument
***Note if you do not come with the correct attire and shoes, you will not be allowed to participate in the photograph.
If you have ordered from Friar Tux, they are still waiting on payment from a few of the orders. Once the orders are paid for they will ship the order to SCHS and ETA is this Friday.
Fall Concert: "A Salute to Service"
Ticket Sales will be available online via our ASB webstore. If you can pay online, please do so ASAP. Electronic payment in advance via the Webstore is preferred to cash at the door.
*Note: If you have not created a new account at the webstore this year, you will need to do so to purchase tickets online.
*** Complimentary Tickets must also be added to the cart to account for seating accommodations.
Concert Day Itinerary for Students:
Dinner: 6:00pm ***Costco Pizza & Salad***
Pre-Concert Talk: 6:45 in music room
Concert Downbeat: 7:00pm
- No food or drinks are permitted in the PAC (excepting water in a sealable container).
- Do Not touch any curtains or equipment other than chairs/stands.
- When sitting in the audience, do not rest feet on chairs or stage edge. Do not climb over rails or seats.
- String Students: Do not apply Rosin inside the PAC. Please do so in the music room or outside.
- Winds: Be sure to use a cloth to catch your "condensation" if applicable.
In other News:
Free Community Concert by the San Diego Symphony
Saturday, Nov. 9th, 3pm
840 K Street
San Diego, CA
Our Next Parent Meeting will be on Tuesday, November 12th!
Please make every effort to attend this meeting if you are helping out with either event.
Tuesday, Nov. 12th, 7-8pm
Meeting Place TBD
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Your Help Is Needed for our Silent Auction!
It may seem a ways off, but our Winter Concert and Silent Auction Event is just around the corner. It's not just an ordinary concert. Along with the songs of the season, you can count on a number of fantastic opportunities to win gift cards, items, services, and experiences via our Annual Silent Auction! These silent auction baskets are a great way to celebrate the holidays with you and yours, or you can give your winnings as a gift. However you choose to go about it, know that by supporting our Silent Auction, you are giving back to the music program and helping us to provide a quality music education to our fine students! So THANK YOU in advance!
Regardless of whether or not you can afford to bid on our baskets, there are other things you can do to help our cause!
- Donate Craft Beer for our Craft Beer baskets or 90+ point Wine (look for 5 cent wine sales) for our Wine basket. Heather Gertzki has a list somewhere with a list of all of the ones available at Trader Joe's for a good price. I will try to get that out to you soon.
- If you can, join Heather Gertzki and the wonderful members of the Silent Auction committee to help us put on a great show and fundraiser! If you are interested, please be sure to email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Even if you are unable to join our Silent Auction committee, or to donate something yourself, you can still be of GREAT Help by simply printing a few copies of the letter below and giving them to local businesses (asking for donated items and experiences for our Silent Auction). This is as simple as bringing them to your already planned family dinners and outings and offering them to establishment managers and owners.
Your Donations Are Important!
At this point, we have funds for sheet music, some minor repairs and not much else.
From your Donations, students will benefit from the following:
- Coaching (more individualized instruction on their instrument)
- Transportation and Fees for Music Festivals, Professional Performances, & Events
- Master Classes
- Instrument Purchases & Repairs
- Sheet Music Purchases
- Awards Banquets
- Fun Music Excursions & Experiences
Here's how you can help!
- Monetary Donation ($60 per trimester is recommended)
- Instrument or Equipment Donation
- Amazon Wishlist Item Donation
- Volunteering for Music Events (ticket sales, student supervision, concessions, etc.)
- Joining the Music Guild (survey linked below)
- Attending Parent Meetings (see Google Calendars)
- Creating a home environment that promotes practicing at home.
* You will likely need to "register" your account, as our ASB is using new software this year.
Calendar Updates & Changes to Note:
- ADDED: SCHS MUSIC PICTURE DAY: Although I have not picked the actual date yet, I am looking into scheduling Picture Day in the 3rd Week of October. Please plan on needing your Concert Black Attire (as described in the syllabus) by that date. ***This does not apply to Instrumental Music students, as they are not a performing ensemble.
- ADDED (tentatively): Barnes & Noble 3rd day of Gift Wrapping Fundraiser (Friday, December 20th). This would be in addition to our two days that Saturday and Sunday.
- ADDED: Carols of Carlsbad: Saturday, December 7th (more details coming soon)