AR 101- Lunch & Learn
Accelerated Reader basics - Let's Get Started!
Hanna Springs Elementary
Practice! Practice! Practice!
Independent reading practice is key!
Motivate them to read!
AR is a tool that can motivate students to read more.
Even the youngest learners can reach goals!
Goal setting is an important component.
Personalize the reading practice
As with all tools, the results that you and your students achieve with AR will depend on what you do with it. When used thoughtfully and with proven techniques, AR can lead to tremendous gains in the students' reading abilities.
In this training:
- We describe some of the techniques that maximize the potential of AR.
- You will hear basic information about incorporating AR into your reading class.
- We'll show you some practices that will get you and your students off to a good start, and help you set goals for your students' reading practice.
- We'll share some tips for managing your classroom, and show you where to find resources you'll want to access when you're ready.
AR 101 - Lunch & Learn
Monday, Sep. 12th, 10:30am-1:30pm
Hanna Springs Elementary School - Computer lab
We will start 5 minutes after each lunch period starts.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Make sure you are in the right place...
Try a QR Code for quick access:
Make sure the iPad is connected to LISD student
Log in to iBoss
Have a "Tech Ninja" as a class job for one or more of your students
You should have students sign a log when they use an iPad logged in with a generic, so that we can have a record of who used the iPad that day.
You can add a button to the home screen on the iPad to connect quickly to AR
The Goal-Setting Process
2. Set initial book-level goals at the low end of each student’s ZPD.
3. Meet briefly with students one-on-one.
4. Each marking period, check the data, adjust goals if needed, and confer.
5. Recognize students who meet their goals.
The students should know their ZPD!
Point Goals should be individualized, fair and realistic!
If a student is frequently absent or if you are not able to schedule reading practice for part of the marking period, lower your students’ point goals.
Conference with your students about realistic goals.