Central Elem. Counselor Newsletter
May 11, 2020 - May 15, 2020
Sensory Play Activities
Ingredients: Liquid starch, Elmer's All Purpose Glue (regular school glue can be used but the putty won't bounce), mixing bowl, large spoon, food coloring (optional).
- Mix 1 part liquid starch to 2 parts glue. Whatever amount of liquid starch you use, double that amount for the glue (1/4 cup of starch and 1/2 cup of glue should make 2 large balls of silly putty).
- Pour the starch and glue into the mixing bowl and mix together. You should notice a blubbery type substance forming.
- If you choose to add food color, add it to your starch and glue mix. Continue to stir until the mix has soaked up most of the water and the mixture is more blubbery.
- Once the mix is mostly solid squeeze, twist and form it with your hands until most of the liquid is soaked up and you have formed a ball that is the consistency of silly putty. You can drain some of the liquid starch or add more glue to get the consistency you want.
- You can now bounce it, roll the putty into a ball, sculpt it or squeeze it into whatever shape you wish.
Deep Breathing Technique - Shoulder Roll Breathing
Shoulder roll breathing - choose a comfortable sitting position or stand with you legs shoulder distance apart. Slowly raise your shoulders up toward your ears as take a deep breathe through your nose. Lower your shoulders while breathing slowly exhaling through your mouth. Move your shoulders up and down with each breath.
Mental Health America
Click the image above for additional resources featured on my webpage.