WKMS Learning Commons News
January 25, 2019................Dr. Conrath, Librarian
WKMS Book Club Students Receive New Pins for 2019
StoryJumper & Student Created Picture Books
For January, there is an "information writing lesson." For February, there are two projects available: one for Black History and one for Present's Day.
The only drawback is that your students will need to use PCs in a computer lab or in the learning commons. StoryJumper is not supported by an iPad at this time.
If you would like to collaborate on a StoryJumper project, please stop by the learning commons during your planning to explore all the options. Please find these relevant links below:
Dr. Conrath Accepts Michelin Golden Apple Grant For The WKMS Book Club
By reading Mockingbird, club members will gain a better understanding about students on the Autism spectrum. Moreover, this story will help discourage bullying and provide a good opportunity to discuss those who are different than themselves.
WKMS Learning Commons Statistics
Black American History Month & Your Learning Commons Resource List
DISCUS Update Connected with Nursing and Career Transitions
The SC State Library has decided to replace Nursing Resource Center and the Nursing and Allied Health Collection with Career Transitions, an online career guidance center that walks job seekers through the job-search process from beginning to end. Career Transitions helps students explore careers, assess interests and experience, create resumes, and search and apply for jobs using Indeed.com. Target audiences include: transitioning veterans, recent college graduates, current students, long-term unemployed, underemployed and trades professionals, and adults rejoining the workforce.
Career Transitions features:
- An interactive interview simulator of common interview questions for those who need to practice these skills
- Hundreds of career overview videos, including the “A Day in the Life” series
- Advice from career experts on applying for jobs, interviewing, networking, and more
- Guided resume and cover letter creation, including helpful templates and samples
- Detailed information on thousands of postsecondary schools and training programs, as well as hundreds of online continuing education courses
- Comprehensive information on job requirements and responsibilities, technology, salary, education, and more
- Multiple job-search options, including internships and entry-level, with job tracking
- A tool to discover career interests and explore in-demand occupations
Career Transitions will be listed on the Discus A-Z and Discus Kids pages as well as in the Grade Level and Subject Pages.