LS-H Middle/High School Newsletter
September 2, 2020
Good Afternoon LS-H Middle/High School Families,
Thank you for collaborating with us to meet the needs of our students as we approach the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. This newsletter is designed to provide necessary information for all of our students to be successful during their first week of school. Please review this information with your family and be sure to contact our office staff at (507) 665-5800 if you have any questions.
Pam Mediger: email@example.com or (507) 665-5801
Gillian Wychor: firstname.lastname@example.org or (507) 665-5802
Christy Smykalski: email@example.com or (507) 665-5805
Le Sueur-Henderson Middle/High School
Virtual Open House
- LS-H Middle/High School teachers will be available to meet with parents and students using the Zoom platform to answer questions about their classes and the upcoming school year.
- Visit our school’s website after 2:30 PM on Sept. 2nd to access the Zoom links and review each teacher’s availability.
- Teachers will be meeting with parents and students individually, so please remain in the Zoom waiting room until you are admitted to the meeting.
1:1 Device Distribution
- Devices may be picked up from 5:00-8:30 PM at Door 14.
- Please enter the rear parking lot off of Kingsway Drive (Near the Tennis Courts).
- Our staff will greet you at Door 14 (North side of LS-H Middle/High School) and assist in distributing devices as quickly as possible.
- To facilitate a smooth Device Distribution, please complete the following steps prior to arriving to pick up your child’s device:
Google Classroom Invitations
- All LS-H Middle/High School teachers have sent Google Classroom invitations to their students.
- Students: Please check your school email and accept all Google Classroom invitations in preparation for the first day of school.
Schedule for the First Week of School
- All students (Blue, Gold, and Distance Learning) are expected to attend school on Sept. 8th.
- Blue and Distance Learning students will attend virtually.
- Gold students will attend in-person.
- Students attending virtually will need to check their class schedule on Infinite Campus, mark their attendance in the Infinite Campus Student Portal, and check the Google Classroom for each of their courses.
Daily Schedules for Hybrid and Distance Learning
LS-H Middle/High School Hybrid Schedule
Each family can access group assignments by viewing their child's schedule on Campus Portal. Select any calendar day between Sept. 8 and Dec. 22 on Campus Portal to determine if your child has been assigned to attend school virtually or in-person that day. This image demonstrates what the "Virtual" indicator looks like on Infinite Campus. Students will attend school virtually on any day that the "Virtual" indicator is present on their school calendar in Infinite Campus. Students will attend school in-person on any day that the "Virtual" indicator is not present.
Due to classroom capacity limits, LS-H Middle/High School will not be able to accomodate changes to hybrid group assignments unless extenuating circumstances exist.
Picture Days at LS-H Middle/High School
- September 10: Gold Day (During School)
- September 14: Blue Day (During School)
- September 14: Distance Learning (3:15-6:00 PM)
Senior Privilege Invitations
Required Forms for School
Thank you for taking time to complete all required paperwork for the 2020-2021 school year. The forms below were mailed home in our back to school mailing. The following forms should be returned to your child's 1st Period teacher during the first week of school:
Census Verification Form
Photo & Information Consent Form - New Students Only
Arrival and Dismissal
- In the Hybrid Scenario, 1st Period at LS-H Middle/High School will begin at 9:00 AM.
- We are requesting that all students who walk to school, drive to school or are dropped off arrive no earlier than 8:45 AM on their in-person days.
- Students who ride the bus will arrive at approximately 8:00 AM and will report to a socially distanced sign in the commons. They will complete school work, read, and socialize until they are dismissed for their 1st Period class at 8:45 AM.
Supervision will be provided by paraprofessional staff.
Buses will arrive in a staggered manner to facilitate social distancing as students enter the building.
After school, students will be dismissed in a staggered manner over the intercom to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
- Whenever they are in the school building.
- In outdoor areas where social distancing cannot be maintained.
- In a school vehicle or bus.
- A mask (face covering) must cover the mouth and nose completely.
- The following are included in the definition of face coverings: Paper or disposable mask, cloth face mask, scarf, religious face covering, neck gaiter, bandana, and medical grade mask or respirator.
- Each student will receive 1 cloth mask and 3 disposable masks during their 1st Period class.
- High School students who do not have a 1st Period class should pick their masks up from the Main Office.
- Contact Molly Thelemann or Brian Thorstad to request a reasonable accommodation if needed.
- Teachers will enter attendance when students attend school in-person.
- All Virtual and Distance Learning students will be required to enter their attendance on the Infinite Campus Student Portal each day.
- LS-H teachers will have the ability to override a student’s attendance selection if they do not attend a required class meeting.
- Parents/Guardians will receive an automated phone call through Infinite Campus notifying them of an absence if their child does not enter their attendance in Infinite Campus on days they attend virtually.
- Students will be expected to attend live sessions or complete academic work for their scheduled course during class times listed on the daily schedule unless a legitimate barrier to learning has been approved by school administration.
- Student work conflicts will not be approved as a legitimate barrier to learning.
- Students will be expected to attend live sessions or complete academic work for their scheduled course during class times listed below unless a legitimate barrier to learning has been approved by school administration.
Hybrid Lunch Procedures
- Students will be seated at a lunch table and wait to be dismissed to enter the cafeteria.
- Two students will sit at each lunch table to maintain social distancing.
- After eating, students will return their tray and report to a social distancing sign in the commons until lunch has ended.
- Student interaction will be encouraged in a socially distanced manner during lunch periods.
- Students will be permitted to go outside after eating (weather permitting) beginning on the 2nd week of school.
- Lunch tables will be disinfected between each lunch period.
- Students will use the same lunch codes from year to year.
- New students will receive lunch codes from Ms. Undeberg or Ms. Al-Sattam on their first day of school.
- Lunch account funds can be given to our food service staff during breakfast or lunch and funds will be deposited. Funds can also be deposited electronically using Payschools Online. A link is available under the “For Parents” tab of our website.
- Students will be released from classrooms in a staggered fashion to maintain social distancing at all times.
- Drinking fountains will be unavailable, but bottle filling stations will remain open for student use.
- To prevent congregating, restrooms will be unavailable for student use during passing times.
- Students may request to use the restroom at anytime after the next class period has begun.
- Students will be required to travel directly to their next class location during passing time.
- Active supervision will be provided by school staff during all passing times.
Lockers, Backpacks, and Cell Phones
- In the Hybrid Scenario, students will not be issued a school locker.
- Students will be expected to use a backpack to carry their school supplies while at school.
- High School students may carry cell phones on their person and Middle School will be expected to keep cell phones/electronic devices in their backpacks.
- Cell phones will be confiscated and brought to the office if they are seen, heard, or being used during class without teacher permission.
- LS-H Middle/High School is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged electronic devices or cell phones.
Daily Student Health Screening
- Each student will be required to undergo a daily health screening before attending school in-person.
Please review the MDH COVID-19 Decision Tree for People in Schools, Youth and Child Care Programs for further information.
Use the MDH Decision Tree linked above to screen your child for symptoms prior to sending your child to school on an in-person day.
A new Home Screening Tool will be provided by the Minnesota Department of Health in the coming days. We will share this document as soon as it becomes available.
By sending your child to school, each parent is verifying that he/she/they has passed the passive LS-H Student Screening Procedure and does not exhibit symptoms of COVID-19.
Students and staff will be expected to remain home if they do not pass their daily screening.
Remember to notify the school of your child(ren)’s absence. If related to COVID-19, please call (507) 602-0308 and leave a detailed message with the student's name, grade, symptoms they are experiencing and test status/results.
If it is found that your child exhibits symptoms consistent with COVID-19 you will be contacted and expected to pick-up your child (and any other students from your household) from school within 30 minutes of being notified.
All students are currently able to view their schedules on Campus Portal. Schedule change requests after August 24th must be submitted by using the Schedule Change Request Form. Ms. Al-Sattam or Ms. Undeberg will contact high school students 1-3 days after submitting schedule change requests. Schedule change requests must be made by 3:30 PM on September 10th to be considered for Semester 1.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, non-essential visitors will not be allowed at LS-H Middle/High School.
- Please call (507) 665-5800 to schedule a virtual meeting with Mr. Christ or Mr. Thorstad.
- Please contact your child's teacher directly to schedule a virtual meeting.
Infinite Campus Parent/Student Portal
Please refer to the following document to assist with logging into and updating information on Campus Portal. The "forgot username" and "forgot password" features on our district's Campus Portal can also be used if you are having difficulty logging in. Further support can be found by contacting the LS-H Middle/High School Office at (507) 665-5800 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle/High School Contact Information
Brian Thorstad, Principal (507) 665-5803
Jeff Christ, Dean of Students/Activities Director (507) 665-5804
Pam Mediger, Attendance Secretary (507) 665-5801
Christy Smykalski, Activities/Counseling Secretary (507) 665-5805