Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School Week of April 29, 2019
Spotlights and Reminders
- TESTING STARTS THIS WEEK! We know our 3rd-5th graders will show off all they have learned! Thank you for ensuring your children have had a HEALTHY BREAKFAST and are ON TIME AND AT SCHOOL EVERY DAY to avoid having to take makeup tests and miss instruction.
- It's SCREEN FREE WEEK! See the special section below for more information on how to support awareness of use of technology in your home and consider alternate activities this week and beyond!
- Save the Date! Our Band and Choir will hold a Spring Concert for families at 9:15 on Thursday, May 30 at 9:15 AM. Please come celebrate our growth in music over the course of the year!
CSF Summer Enrichment Camp is back! Registration is now open for Coronado Schools Foundation's 2019 Summer Enrichment Program featuring hands-on STEAM-inspired classes for students, grades TK-12. This educationally focused program offers two, one-week sessions with some classes offered over both weeks. Classes are held from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 12:00 to 3:00 pm with most classes at Village Elementary School. There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:30-12:00 for students taking both morning and afternoon classes. Most classes are taught by credentialed Coronado Unified teachers with Steve Reiss, a local expert, teaching SAT/ACT and Excelsior Chess offering Chess Camp. Class sizes are small with experienced teachers at the helm, planning and executing the curriculum. Registration is now open! Register by May 15th to save $20 off each class!
Coronadoenrichment.org to register now!
This week’s theme is UNPLUG: What do we notice when we have our eyes and ears and noses attuned to the environment and people around us? Let’s stop and smell the roses, enjoy the company of others, and play and be creative!
It's Screen-Free Week!
Did you know that there are apps which allow you to view your child's usage of apps and sites, as well as to limit use of apps during specific times of day and overall hours of use? One such app is Qustodio (used by Principal Moore), and there are more; read here.
- During Screen-Free Week, millions of children and adults nationwide pledge to spend seven days screen-free.
- Studies show that American children spend more time in front of a screen than they do in school! Screen-Free Week is a great way to jump-start our kids into more reading, learning, and active play. It’s also a lot of fun!
- Many parents choose to join their children in forgoing screen-based entertainment as this kind of support is the best thing you can do to ensure that your child will have a successful and beneficial experience. Each student will receive a bracelet as a reminder to stay Screen-Free. In addition, each school site will be participating in their own set of Screen-Free activities.
- At the end of the week all students who participate will receive a free 100% fruit pop for a job WELL DONE!
- For more information: https://coronadousd.net/departments/food-services-studentnutrition/cusd-wellness-policy/
And here's an article presenting a point of view that parents might JOIN their children's screen time, versus focus on limiting it: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/29/680882610/author-of-the-new-childhood-advises-parents-dont-panic-about-screen-time
Safety Updates from Karen Pierro
Student Council News
We have some exciting plans for restructuring Student Council for next year ! More information coming soon!
Thank you to our amazing PTO for hosting another incredible annual Luau! We appreciate the opportunity to celebrate our special community while raising funds for our school!
NEXT PTO MEETING IS THURSDAY, MAY 9 AT 8:30 AM
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Summer Enrichment is back!
Registration is now open for Coronado Schools Foundation's 2019 Summer Enrichment Program featuring hands-on STEAM-inspired classes for students, grades TK-12.
This educationally focused program offers two, one-week sessions with some classes offered over both weeks. Classes are held from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 12:00 to 3:00 pm with most classes at Village Elementary School. There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:30-12:00 for students taking both morning and afternoon classes.
Most classes are taught by credentialed Coronado Unified teachers with Steve Reiss, a local expert, teaching SAT/ACT and Excelsior Chess offering Chess Camp. Class sizes are small with experienced teachers at the helm, planning and executing the curriculum.
Registration is now open! Register by May 15th to save $20 off each class!
Coronadoenrichment.org to register now!
Did you know that the Coronado Schools Foundation supports the Silver Strand Band, Choir, Science Lab, Visual and Performing Arts Programs, Technology Resource Teacher, Library, and academic support teachers? CSF brings STEAM to Silver Strand Elementary! Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
THIS WEEK: STATEWIDE TESTING BEGINS; Screen-Free Week
MON 4/29: CAASPP Testing in the AM
TUES 4/30: CAASPP Testing in the AM
WED 5/1: CAASPP Testing in the AM
THUR 5/2: CAASPP Testing in the AM
2nd Grade Dance Rehearsal
FRI 5/3: Friday Flagpole
CAASPP Testing in the AM
NEXT WEEK: TEACHER APPRECIATION
MON 5/6: CAASPP Testing in the AM
TUES 5/7: CAASPP Testing in the AM
WED 5/8: CAASPP Testing in the AM
PTO Staff Luncheon
THUR 5/9: CAASPP Testing in the AM
FRI 5/10: Friday Flagpole
MilSpouse Appreciation Day Breakfast
CAASPP Testing in the AM
SAT 5/11: 8-Noon: Arts Extravaganza at SSES
On the Horizon:
5/16: Teacher of the Year Recognition at Board Meeting
5/17: 5th Grade Visit to CMS
5/21: Sanford Harmony Visit
5/22: BizTown Interviews
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Gia Del George! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life. If your family is facing separation due to deployment, or any transitions or challenges, please contact Ms. Gia at MFLC.Strand@coronadousd.net.
And please encourage your child to visit our Connections Room during lunch recess, open to military and non-military students alike in grades 1-5 on M, W, F! The Connections Room has the following activities on these days:
Monday: Board Games
Wednesday: Military Kids Club (MKC) ALL are welcomeFriday: Dance and Sing
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/