Blue Jay Bulletin for Parents
November 5, 2021 - Issue 24
Dear Blue Jay Families,
The first quarter of the 2021-22 school year is in the books. Parent-teacher conferences were held this past week with a great turnout. Thank you parents and guardians for taking the time to attend conferences and for your support throughout the year. Family support and great teachers in the classroom make for a winning combination for kids.
A few important items to note this month…
- The seasons are changing and we are starting to experience some colder weather, especially in the morning at recess. A friendly reminder to have your child pack a zip up coat daily for the next couple months. Normally the morning temperatures are below 40 degrees.
- Guidelines for determining outside recess/recess gear can be found in the handbook. We will use the "feels like" temperature for the following: between 20-40 degrees, students will need a coat/jacket (more than a hoodie). Stocking caps and gloves are recommended. Above 40, normal indoor attire is acceptable. When the temperatures are between 40-50, students are encouraged to wear a windbreaker, fleece, hoodie, or some lighter jacket.
- Student quarantines and work - once we receive notification that a student is in quarantine please give teachers two days to gather all necessary materials for your child. (Ex: A student is quarantined on Wednesday, work will be ready Friday.) I am hoping there will come a day when all of this is behind us but for now it is where we are at.
- Our 2021 state assessments came back and once again our students hit a home run. We were 15 percentage points above the state average in reading and 37 percentage points above in math.
- McTeacher Night was a big success. We raised $550 on the evening! We will use that money for student incentives for passing levels in XtraMath and meeting Accelerated Reader goals in reading.
- Future dates to circle - Nov. 11 Veterans Day "Walk of Honor" at 10:30am, Dec. 13 STEM Showcase at 6-6:45pm followed by the Elementary Music Program for grades K-3 at 7pm. Preschool program that same night at 6:30pm.
Stay Positive and Healthy,