Wamogo Library-Makerspace News
2017 Nutmeg Book Award Voting ends April 28th
The Nutmeg Book Award encourages children in grades 2-12 to read quality literature and to choose their favorites from a list of nominated titles. Jointly sponsored by the Connecticut Library Association and the Connecticut Association of School Librarians, the Nutmeg Committee is comprised of children's librarians and school library media specialists who are members of the sponsoring associations.
Every May, books are announced in four categories (Elementary, Intermediate, Teen and High School) as nominees for the next year's Nutmeg Book Award. Students can read as many titles as they desire over the course of the next school year, and vote for their favorite the following April.
Books nominated for the Teen and High School awards must be:
- Works of fiction, with appeal for readers in grades 7-8 (Teen) or 9-12 (High School)
- Copyrighted in the United States
- First published no more than 5 years from the date of selection
- Currently in print and available in paperback
- Well-written, with strong characterization, vivid setting, striking language, a well-constructed plot, and plausible conclusion
Check out this year's nominees by clicking on the pictures below. And come on down to the Wamogo LMC-Makerspace and cast your vote before the end of April!
Who will take the grand prize? Mr. Prescott picks "Turn Left at the Cow" by Lisa Bullard and Ms. Wall gives the nod to "The Iron Trial" by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare.
Nutmeg Book Award
Come on down to the LMC and vote for your favorite no later than Friday, April 28th.
High School Nominees
Our picks for the winner? Mr. Prescott says "Challenger Deep" by Neal Shusterman is #1 and Ms. Wall thinks "The Queen of the Tearling" by Erika Johansen will take the prize.
Nutmeg Book Award
What Wamogo Reads
Top Five Titles for March 2017
- "The Heir" by Kiera Cass
- "Parrotfish" by Ellen Wittlinger
- "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire
- "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green
- "I Am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore
- "The Eleventh Plague" by Jeff Hirsch and Dan Bittner
- "Peak: Peak Series Book 1" by Roland Smith
- "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton
- "The Hidden Oracle: Trials of Apollo, Book 1" by Rick Riordan
Ms. Wall is currently reading "Girl on a Plane" by Miriam Moss
Mr. Prescott is currently reading "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls" by David Sedaris
OverDrive E-Books Catalog
Destiny Library Catalog
Wamogo Print books catalog
Free State Library of CT databases and research tools