Wainwright's Groovy Headlines
March 21, 2016
Readers' and Writers' Workshop
Students have worked very hard on their rainforest research! They have shared so many fascinating facts with me during our reading time. They have chosen the most interesting facts to share with you in their writing. Students also completed an opinion piece about whether to visit the rainforest or not! They gave at least three reasons to try and persuade you! We cannot wait to share all of their hard work with you after the music program on Monday, March 14th. See you then!
Students will continue reading from just right books that are in their ZPD range from the STAR reading assessment. Students will continue practicing comprehension strategies with first grade level reading selections.
Spelling Long E words spelled _y and ie
*Play math game and/or complete math worksheets
*Study spelling words
Homework folders are sent home on Monday and should be returned on Friday mornings with completed reading logs, math worksheets, and math games.
Jaguars are the king of the rainforest.
Students went on a scavenger hunt to count the animals in the rainforest.
The roar of a howler monkey can be heard
Common Core Daily Standards
- RF.1.1. Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- RF.1.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Phonics and Word Recognition
- RF.1.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.1.4. Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- OA.1.1 Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
- OA.1.3 Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.
- OA.1.5 Relate counting to addition and subtraction.
- NBT.1.1 Count to 120, starting at any number.
- NBT 1.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
- NBT 1.4 Add two-digit numbers with a one-digit number, or a multiple of 10.
- NBT 1.5 Given a two-digit number, mentally find 10 more or 10 less.
- NBT 1.6 Subtract multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range from multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range.
Important Dates & Events
- 3/23 Boosterthon Fun Run
- 3/28 - 4/3 Spring Break
- 4/8 Friday Freeze
- 4/12 Chick-fil-A Spirit Day
- 4/28 Field trip to Anniston Museum of Natural History
- 4/27 Secretary's Day
- 5/2 - 5/6 Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/2 - 5/6 Child Nutrition Worker Appreciation Week
- 5/4 National School Nurse's Day
- 5/15 National Police Officer's Day
- 5/24 Last day for students noon dismissal with report cards
- 5/30 Memorial Day