Thank you, HVMS PTA!
Virtual Awards Ceremonies
Our awards ceremonies will be conducted virtually this year through our Eagle News program on the following dates:
- 6th Grade: Monday, May 24
- 7th Grade: Tuesday, May 25
- 8th Grade: Thursday, May 27
The virtual ceremonies can be streamed live by clicking on the following link at the start of school (8:20 a.m.) on those dates: Eagle Studios
Additionally, we will post the awards ceremonies to our school webpage once they have been shown on the morning news program in case anyone would like to view them at a later date or share them with other friends/family members.
Eagles of the Month
Our Eagles of the Month for April are the following:
SOAR Card Recipients
Students can receive SOAR cards at HVMS by meeting our school-wide expectations of being safe, organized, accountable, and respectful. Our entire matrix of school-wide expectations is posted to the right. This year, we will be distributing SOAR cards to both hybrid and remote students by email, and recipients will be entered into monthly drawings for prizes. The following students have received SOAR cards since our last newsletter:
Student Laptop Collection
Hidden Valley Middle School will collect student laptops on the schedule below:
Hybrid student laptops will be collected through English classes.
- 1st and 2nd block English classes will turn in their laptops on Monday, May 24.
- 3rd and 4th block English classes will turn in their laptops on Tuesday, May 25.
Virtual student laptops must be dropped off in the HVMS Library on Wednesday, May 26.
- Collection Hours: 8:00-11:30 a.m. & 1:00-3:00 p.m.
- Temperature checks will be given upon entering the building.
Summer School Student Info
- 6th and 7th graders taking summer school at HVMS MUST turn in their laptops on the above scheduled day.
- 8th Graders taking RCPS Academy classes for high school credit will keep their laptops for the Academy classes.
Laptop Return Requirements:
- Students are required to turn in a laptop and charger. All items must have matching laptop #s on them.
- Students are responsible for turning in the laptop free of stickers and/or graffiti.
- Make sure all personal items are removed from the laptop case. (8th grade only)
- Students are responsible for paying for missing parts that they were issued.
Missing Part Price Estimates:
- Dell Charger - $45
- Missing Laptop - $500
(Please contact the HVMS Bookkeeper, Ann Hinchee, firstname.lastname@example.org, for exact payment amounts)
Wednesday Help Sessions - May 19 & May 26
RCPS Summer Academy Session 2021
RCPSOnline Summer Academy courses are available for rising 9th through 12th grade students. Please read the following details:
- Courses, with the exception of all Health and PE courses, will run June 1st through July 16th (All Health and PE cousres will run June 3rd through June 30th)
- These are full credit new courses
- The registration deadline is May 28th
- In-county tuition is $400 per course - out-of-county tuition is $500 per course
- Students enrolled in summer academy courses will be provided a laptop upon request
- Courses with an End-of-Course SOL test will require a face-to-face test at a location and a date to be determined
Here’s the link – RCPSOnline Summer Academy
- May 18 – Civics 8 and Science 8
Make-up testing will occur when your student returns to school if he or she is absent.
Some students will test on different days. Parents will be notified by the classroom teacher if that is the case.
Virtual Students will test at school on Wednesdays. Parents were emailed a request to fill out an online questionnaire, so please check your email. This information is needed to plan testing.
- May 19 – Virtual students: Civics 8 and Science 8
- May 26 – Make-up testing for virtual students
Last Week of School
The Roanoke City and Alleghany Health District is offering an optional COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the Northside Middle School Gymnasium on Wednesday, May 19, for any student age 12 or older who would like to be vaccinated. This optional clinic will provide the first or second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Students must be registered at the link below to receive either the first or second dose vaccination. If you would like your child to receive the Pfizer vaccine, please register your child using the below link. You will be able to provide consent during registration so that you do not need to accompany your child. Your child will ride the bus to their home school, or must be dropped off at their home school no later than 8:30 a.m. on May 19. Students will be bused to the Northside Middle School vaccination site between 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and will return to their home site by bus afterward. Students receiving their second dose will need to bring their vaccination card.
Students receiving vaccinations will be housed in the cafeteria and/or gym that morning before taking the shuttle to NMS. After the clinic, students will return to HVMS. If students are taking the bus back home in the afternoon, we will plan on having them work in the cafeteria until buses arrive at 12:20 p.m. If students are being picked up by a parent/guardian before 12:20 p.m., they will need to be signed out from the front office.
Registration Link: https://vdhems.vdh.virginia.gov/vdhapps/f?p=535:205:::NO:205:P205_CLINIC_DETAILS_ID:258152534450649194375044579743480079506
Daily Health Screening
Sports this Week
- Baseball: Home vs. RMMS - 5:00 p.m.
- Softball: @ RMMS - 5:00 p.m.
- Boys' Soccer: @ WBMS - 5:30 p.m.
- Girls' Soccer: Home vs. WBMS - 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, May 18:
- Baseball: @ BFMS - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, May 19:
- Boys' Soccer: Home vs. CSMS - 5:30 p.m.
- Track: @ ALMS - 4:45 p.m.
Thursday, May 20:
- Baseball: @ NMS (Walrond Park Field #1) - 5:00 p.m.
- Softball: Home vs. NMS - 5:00 p.m.
- Boys' Soccer: @ NMS - 5:30 p.m.
- Girls' Soccer: Home vs. NMS - 5:30 p.m.