Seawell Peek At the Week
October 9, 2022
At Seawell We Value All...We Are Committed to All...Believe in All...and Lead with the Heart!!!
Our first quarter is in full force as students are working hard to both review and learn new curricula. In the upcoming weeks we will have various assessments and opportunities for student feedback happening. Recently in both our School Improvement Team meeting and during a September staff meeting we began discussing the new district strategic plan.
Our focus is on how this is and will be actualized on our campus throughout the next year. One critical focus is creating a culture of safety and wellness. We have begun actualizing that for both students and our staff members. While these areas have not been ignored, our learning community is working to revisit current actions and develop new ones to protect our learning community both physically and mentally. I look forward to sharing action steps and strategies that are developed in the near future.
Hispanic Heritage Month
You’re invited! National Hispanic Heritage Month Community Celebration: As we continue to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, please join us for our Community Celebration!
- When: Friday, Oct. 14, 5-7 p.m.
- Where: Carrboro Town Commons
- What: Join us for a cultural celebration featuring music, food trucks, dancing, crafts, and more!
NEWS FROM THE PTA
News from the PTA
Join the PTA for just $10 per person or sponsor a Seawell teacher or staff member for only $5 by clicking on the MemberHub link. As a PTA member there is no obligation to attend the PTA meetings or volunteer. We welcome other family members too, such as grandparents, to become PTA members, too!
Volunteer with the PTA! There are several vacant positions, including PTA president. If interested in volunteering with the PTA, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual PTA Board meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 7:00 pm. here
Math Olympiads will be back in Seawell! (4th and 5th graders are eligible)
For details, please read this: LINK. If you are interested, please complete registration by October 10, 2022. (Please note we will be progressing with this program only if there are sufficient interested participants and volunteers).
Family Night on the Town. Thank you to everyone who joined us for the first Family Night on the Town at YoPop Frozen Yogurt. Our friends at YoPop have generously donated proceeds to the Seawell PTA. We appreciate their kindness and generosity and look forward to future events at YoPop.The October Seawell Family Night on the Town is scheduled for Wednesday, October 12 at Coronato Pizza (101 Two Hills Rd., #140, Carrboro). Our friends at Coronato recommend that guests pre-order for take-out or make reservations when dining in if possible. We are looking forward to partnering with Coronato Pizza for this event.
LIKE the Seawell PTA Facebook page.
LINK your Harris Teeter VIC Card online or at the cashier to enter school code #2543 the next time you shop.
SES COVID-19 Cases
CHCCS encourages eligible students and staff to get an updated COVID-19 booster. The updated bivalent booster is now available for people 12 and older (two months after they finish their primary series or any booster dose). It offers the most up-to-date protection against the latest Omicron variants. The booster, like all COVID-19 vaccines, is safe to get alongside your annual flu vaccine. The CDC also recommends a third dose for children 5 to 11 who have compromised immune systems. Click on these links for vaccination locations and more information on COVID-19 boosters
Families, please be sure to follow the following guidelines :
- Masks: In general, CHCCS remains a mask-recommended, but optional district. Masks continue to be provided for students and staff upon request. Exceptions to this protocol are outlined on our website as well as the below paragraph about COVID-19 positive staff/students.
- Also: Schools will no longer require masking in the entire building when there are clusters of 5+ positive cases in a small group or a cumulative total of 15+ positive cases in a school. More on this below.
- Symptomatic Staff/Students - Will be required to provide*:
- A negative PCR COVID-19 test, or
- 2 negative Antigen (Rapid) tests separated 24 hours apart in order to return to work/school, or
- An alternative diagnosis from a primary care provider.
- *This is not for individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19. This is to prove that the COVID-like symptoms being experienced are not COVID-19. Individuals who choose not to test for COVID-19 or get an alternative diagnosis from their primary care provider are required to follow the COVID-19 positive staff/students guidance.
- COVID-19 positive Staff/Students - Must quarantine for 5 days and can return on day 6 as long as they are free of vomiting, diarrhea, and fever without the use of medication and all COVID-19 like symptoms are improving (they do not need to be resolved). The individual needs to continue to wear a mask at work/school while indoors for an additional 5 days after returning. Please contact your school nurse for additional information and guidance on returning to work/school.
- International Walk to School Day, observed in CHCCS on Oct. 12 (due to teacher workday on Oct. 5)
- National Hispanic Heritage Month Community Celebration@Carrboro Town Commons 5-7pm.
- Join us for our Hispanic/Latinx Community Celebration on Friday, October 14th from 5 - 7 pm at the Carrboro Towns Commons. There will be free food for the first 300 people, along with music, prizes, auctions, and dancing. Bring chairs, your dancing shoes, an appetite, and help us celebrate Hispanic/Latinx Heritage! Flyer Link
- NC Check-Ins for Grades 4-5
- End of the Quarter
October is Learning Disabilities Awareness Month
FACT: October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month!
The history of National Disability Employment Awareness Month traces back to 1945 when Congress enacted a law declaring the first week in October each year "National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week." In 1962, the word "physically" was removed to acknowledge the employment needs and contributions of individuals with all types of disabilities.
In 1988, Congress expanded the week to a month and changed the name to National Disability Employment Awareness Month. By hiring and welcoming people with disabilities, our society and organizations strengthen their ability to gain fresh insights, creativity, and empowerment.
Disability History: An Important Part of America’s Heritage by the US Department of Labor
Make sure to follow along every week in October for more facts and resources about increasing access and opportunity for individuals with disabilities, visit: www.dol.gov/ndeam
Special Needs Advisory Council (SNAC) website linked here
Ms. Lindsay Guge Cozon is our representative
Classroom Corner - Testing Update
- Grades 4-5:
- SEL (Panorama) surveys The CHCCS window is Oct 11-Oct 21.
- We will set a more structured window soon (more info soon). An opt-out letter will be sent to parents on Oct 11 by the district.
- Grades 3-5
- BOY NC Check-Ins will occur this month. Our window includes Oct. 24-Oct. 28.
- For BOY Check-Ins, grades 4-5 will complete reading, grades 3-5 will complete math, and grade 5 will complete science (Earth).
SEL: Social Emotional Learning
BOY:Beginning of Year
Open House Presentations:
Seawell Exceptional Children's Department
Kindergarten Open House Presentation
First Grade Open House Presentation
Second Grade Open House Presentation
Third Grade Open House Presentation
Fifth Grade Open House Presentation
Fifth Grade LEAP Open House Presentation
We’re hiring! CHCCS is hiring for a wide variety of available positions including Exceptional Children (EC), dual language, math and science teachers…plus bus drivers, facilities, maintenance and IT staff. Know someone who wants to join the CHCCS team? Please help us by using your networks on LinkedIn to share our posts and spread the word! Note that Seawell is still searching for:
- One full time EC resource teacher
- Fourth Grade LEAP teacher
- Fifth Grade LEAP teacher
- Instructional Assistants
Please call Seawell at 919.967.4343 ext 33201 or email email@example.com to report absences and tardies.
Educational leave for students must be requested at least ten days in advance utilizing this form.