Ninth Grade News
Week of December 14
We are in the final week of our first semester. As high school freshmen, the importance of earning credits toward high school graduation requirements is essential. Students must satisfy both of the requirements listed below to earn course credit each semester:
1. The student must earn a semester grade of 70 or greater, and
2. The student must have a 90% attendance rate for the course
Semester Exams will begin on Tuesday of this week. We encourage students to utilize the Student Ascender Portal to check their progress often, take advantage of the after school tutoring center if help is needed. Please note the December semester exam schedule for in-person learners -- this includes students who are in-person learners, but at home for quarantine during exam week. Remote learners will follow a different exam schedule due to their schedule being asynchronous and each class is not assigned a period of the day. The remote learner schedule is also posted below.
It remains essential for students to bring a laptop and charger cord to school every day. A phone will not suffice for their digital curriculum assignments. Please encourage and remind your student to bring theirs daily. Please reach out to our librarian, Mrs. Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have questions about student devices or would like to learn more about a district-provided device.
We are thankful for your partnership and are looking forward to another great week of Growing Greatness!
Carolyn Ansley, Principal
Monday, December 14
- Flex Day
Tuesday, December 15
- Period 1 Exam (8:40-10:00am)
- Men's BB vs. Ennis - HOME (FR 5:00pm, JV 6:15pm, V 7:30pm)
- Ladycat BB vs. Liberty Christian - AWAY (JV 5:00pm, V 6:30pm)
Wednesday, December 16
- Period 2 Exam (8:40-10:00am)
- Period 3 Exam (10:05-11:25am)
- Period 7 Exam (2:50-4:10pm)
Thursday, December 17
- Period 4 Exam "B" Lunch (11:30-12:50pm)
- Period 4 Exam "A" Lunch (12:00-1:20pm)
- Period 5 Exam (1:25-2:45pm)
- Period 6 Exam (2:50-4:10pm)
Friday, December 18
- Student Holiday - Campus is closed
- Varsity FB - Class 5A Div. II Area Playoff Game vs. North Forney @Globe Life Park, 3:15 p.m.
Men's BB vs. Brownwood - HOME (FR 3:30pm, JV 4:45pm, V 6:00pm)
Ladycat BB vs. Krum - AWAY (FR 5:00pm, JV 6:15pm, V 7:30pm)
Saturday, December 19
Exam Schedule for In-Person Learners:
Exam Schedule for Remote Learners
Due to the asynchronous learning model, our remote learners will not be able to follow the same semester exam schedule as our in-person learners. Remote teachers will schedule exams with remote learners according to the following schedule:
Tuesday, December 15 - Math & Social Studies
Wednesday, December 16 - Science & ELAR
Thursday, December 17 - Electives
Remote Students need to plan to be available for testing on those days.
Deadline to Switch Instructional Models
No changes will be granted between December 4 and December 17. The next deadline to request to change instructional models will be Friday, Feb. 26, which is two weeks before the end of the third nine-week grading cycle.
If you do not want to change instructional models for the third nine-week grading cycle, you do not need to take any action as your child will remain in his or her current instructional model for the third nine-week grading cycle.
Aledo Education Foundation
We are so thankful for the support of the Aledo Education Foundation! AEF provided nearly $300,000 in support to Aledo ISD classrooms last year and more than $2.1 million since its inception in 2013. Our campus has been the beneficiary of grants, teacher recognition awards, supplies and so much more provided by the Aledo Education Foundation.
This year - with in-person events limited and the need for their support greater than ever - AEF has a goal to raise $50 per Aledo ISD student through the Achieving Excellence Fund. Please consider this investment in Aledo ISD students and teachers! Click here to set up to donate today or go to aledoef.org and click on Achieving Excellence Fund.
COVID Health and Safety Reminders
As we move into cold and flu season and begin to see an uptick in positive COVID-19 cases amongst our students and staff, please be reminded of the health and safety protocols in Aledo ISD's Return to Learn Plan:
- Parents of all students must screen children for symptoms and take the temperature of each of their children before their child attends school every day. Students who have an elevated temperature above 100.4 OR have any COVID-related symptoms must report the symptoms to their campus nurse and stay home. Please do not send students to school with symptoms. For Daniel Ninth Grade, our nurse is Danielle Barnes (email@example.com).
- All students shall wear face coverings at all times while on Aledo ISD property that social distancing, maintaining six feet of distance, is not possible. Face coverings should cover both the nose and mouth of the user.
Aledo ISD COVID-19 Dashboard
Aledo ISD is tracking COVID-19 cases within our school Community. To do this we need your help – if your child ever tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please click this link to complete our AISD COVID Reporting form. Our data will only be as accurate as what is reported to us. Please help us keep our entire community healthy and safe by providing this information as soon as it becomes known to you. To view the Aledo ISD COVID Dashboard, please click here.
Mr. Chad Barry - World History
Another teacher who’s been at DNG from the start, Coach Barry has taught for 19 years and teaches World History. A graduate of Tarleton State, he is also the AHS Head Baseball Coach. Simply put, he was inspired to teach because he likes to help kids! It’s no surprise that his favorite book is Movement Over Maxes: Developing The Foundation for Baseball Performance by Zach Dechant. Coach Barry enjoys fishing and hiking in the mountains and dreams of a vacation in Alaska. If he had a superpower, it would be the ability to fly.
Your student will need to provide evidence that they are a student enrolled in a public, private, or home school and have been attending school for at least 90% of the time. A VOE form is issued by our office.
To Request a VOE Form:
- Your student will scan the QR code in the front office.
- They will need to complete the linked Google form.
- The VOE will be available the following day and can be picked up at the front office. The form will need to be signed by your student and witnessed by office staff.
How do I check my student out for an appointment or early release?
Daniel Ninth Grade Campus is currently closed to visitors. We understand at times, however, it may be necessary for you to pick up your student for an appointment. Please allow for a few extra minutes when picking up your student as we are using a new check out system and have new processes in place. We kindly ask that you follow these procedures when picking up your student:
- Pull up to the student pick up/drop off area in front of our main doors.
- Once you enter the building, please remain in the lobby area. Our office staff will greet you and ask to scan your ID. You can also call our office at 817-441-4504 to let us know you are here. If it is during a passing period, we ask that you please wait outside until the students have exited the building.
- We will then call your student’s teacher to notify them that you are here to pick them up.
How do I report a student absence?
Thank you, parents, for doing a great job of communicating student absences with our office staff and for keeping your child home when they are not feeling well.
If your child is sick or will not be at school for any other reason, please call the school at
(817) 441-4504 or email Sarah Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org to report an absence.
Any student or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please complete the AISD COVID-19 Reporting Form.
How do I request a district device?
Your child will need access to a laptop or Chromebook in order to complete assignments in Canvas both at home and school. Please visit the following link if you would like to learn more about checking out a Chromebook from the Aledo ISD Technology Department: https://www.aledoisd.org/Page/4320
Ascender Student Portal
1. Go to the Aledo ISD home page and click on Parents and Students at the top of the page. Then click on Student Portal Link on the left side of the page. (You can also go to the link directly: https://tinyurl.com/y5knvfwa)
2. Click on Create Account
3. Enter your student ID number, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.