SC GEAR UP
Weekly Memo - 3/15 to 3/21
Good Morning SC GEAR UP!
Got some major things happening this week...
COMPASS budgets past due: March 18th
APR write-ups: March 18th
SCGU staff mtg: March 18th (CHE)
Objectives for 2014-15
The SCGU Grant objective for 10th grade will be that 80% of our students will pass Biology by the end of 10th grade. As of first semester, I believe Vermadel has us at 38%.
Remember, the success of the SC GEAR UP Grant will be judged on three things:
1) Did your GU cohort graduate high school at a higher rate than the non GU cohorts?
2) Did your GU cohort enroll at a post-secondary institution at a higher rate than the non GU cohorts?
3) How prepared to succeed were our GU cohort when they arrived at college?
The language re: your special projects going on in your Regions this year is due to me at the staff meeting Wednesday March 18th. Email it to me electronically. You don't actually have to hand me a paper copy if you don't want to.
As a whole, I'm pleased with where we are with the projects. I think we have some outliers and some folks that just may not be as far along, and we will get there.
Now that you've pretty much framed your cost for the project in each school, I think it's important that we shift the discussion once more to "how this looks on a day to day basis in each school". The meetings aren't over. You will probably want to start laying out to your coaches how they fit into this thing. Because it's a "staff meeting week", I don't need you to do a COMPASS report email this week. You can bring us up to speed this week at the staff meeting. I want to be sure you cover the following in your reports:
- Date of last meeting/contact on subject and who attended
- Technical college that will partner with high school through project
- Plan for Dual Enrollment Course delivery
- Plan for Developmental or "GEAR UP University Transition Course"
- Who is teaching the courses?
- Have the teachers been vetted by the high school or tech college?
- Does SCGU need to develop the lesson plans for the courses?
- Does the high school need anything from you in order to generate their Master schedule and include these classes?
- Will you have enough students to "make" the course?
- Have you discussed if this "Transition Course" could be offered with Carnegie Unit
- Plan for sharing data with stakeholders (parent night? IGP?)
- What concerns have parents shared with you or the school?
- Issues you are encountering at any level
Remember the deadlines. Let's help the schools move forward.
NCCEP/GEAR UP Summer Conference - San Francisco
Well, the deadline for submission to NCCEP was March 15th. I never received more than the one proposal for the National Conference. That is disappointing, especially a year after having 5 sessions from SC. Anyway, we can discuss potential invitees next month for the NCCEP/GEAR UP to determine who should go. Looks like it will be a smaller group though.
Remember, if there is a kid who is failing, that is not attending a tutoring program, your coach will need to document that contact was made and why the student isn't coming.
We will be looking at Coach evaluations closely to determine who needs to move forward. If a coach cannot convince students/parents that a failing student needs tutoring then we will have to look at another coach. The need is clearly there.
I want to go over the GC evaluation tool on Wednesday. I am going to amend it to have some specific targets. I want your thoughts on what we should be looking to add/take off the evaluation for next year. I want specifics on tutoring % of failures you'd like to have as a requirement. I am open to other ideas as well to add to the evaluation tool. I've also asked Catherine to think of some percentages for CAM and CGC for them to meet.
College Access Update
Catherine has contacted all of you regarding coming to your Region meeting to discuss College Goal (CGSC) lessons learned from each Pilot, and to give so preliminaries on College Application Month (CAM). She has not gotten responses from you all re: the dates of your next meeting. If you don't have another one scheduled this year, she needs to know that as well. Not responding is not an option.
We meet on Tuesdays to go over the Program and sign invoices. Questions usually come up. Be available between 1:30 and 3:00 for a potential call or text.
Social Media Update
The SC GEAR UP Facebook and Twitter are now both up!!!! Please have the coaches encourage students to like and follow SC GEAR UP on social media. We can do better on Twitter and certainly on Facebook.