The Roadrunner Report
The Rundown on Ridgewood Elementary - Jan. 18
Dates to know...
1/21 - SCHOOL CLOSED - MLK Jr. Day
1/25 - Spirit Day - Silly Sock Day
1/28 - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS, Grading Day
1/31 - Passport day
2/1 - Family Movie Night, 6:00-8:00 p.m. Zootopia
2/4 - Report Cards carried home
2/7 - Social Emotional Learning Family night, 6:00-7:00 p.m. (see below)
2/12 - PTC Meeting, 6:30 p.m. - all families invited, childcare provided
2/13 - Coffee with the Principal, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
2/14 - Class parties
2/22 - 30th Annual Ridgewood Science Festival
The March Coffee with the Principal has been moved to Tuesday, March 12 from 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Spring Conference dates - No School April 18 & 19
Principal Perspective - Writing
This week kindergartners worked on writing "First, Next, Then" sentences and turned them into their own books with a beginning, middle and end. Students at all levels are encouraged to write about their thinking, and continually edit what they have written. I encourage you to ask your child this weekend about what they are writing and how they are improving it.
Charlie, Olive, Rebecca, Trevin, Josiah, Sylvia, and Good!
Ridgewood Volunteer Needs
Family Movie Night -- Feb 1st -- We could use 1-2 people to help fill bags of popcorn and licorice after school on February 1st (no MyVP sign up needed). This year we will be showing Zootopia. Don't forget to have the kids bring their Beep-Beeps, cash is not accepted! Contact Michelle Hebden firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Clothes Closet -- Feb 6th -- The Beaverton Clothes Closet distributes clothing to district students in need. This is a great community service opportunity that supports students in the entire district!
Volunteers and their families are needed to staff the Clothes Closet store on Ridgewood's scheduled day, one Wednesday during the school year, between 9:30am-4pm. There are four shift and we need four people per shift. This volunteer event happens at the school district's offices. Please note that younger children cannot be accommodated during this volunteer activity. There is usually a greater need for volunteers in the afternoon.
Science Festival -- Feb 22nd -- It is coming fast and we need lots of help! I
For the shifts below, you will sign in with MyVP. If you have a child that is 6th grade or above that would like to volunteer, particularly for the demo rooms, please send Matt Hansen email@example.com or Julie Larson firstname.lastname@example.org their name and school, and what they would like to volunteer for (they do not need to sign up in MyVP). We also need 75 reviewers* and reviewers also do NOT need to sign-up in MyVP.
Set-up evening of Thursday, Feb 21 6:45-8:30 Click HERE
Help kids with project set-up Friday, Feb 22 morning 7:30a-8:30a Click HERE
Help kids with project set-up Friday, Feb 22 lunch 11a-1p Click HERE
Demo Room* Set-up and Demo station volunteer (3 different shifts) Friday, Feb 22 5:00p-7:30p Set up from 5-6:00, and two 45-min shifts to assist kids. Click HERE
Pizza set-up and service (2 shifts) Friday, Feb 22 5:15p-6:45p Click HERE
Clean-up Shift Friday, Feb 22 7:30p-8p Click HERE
*Reviewers - we need 75 reviewers. All are welcome to help, moms and dads, siblings in 6th grade or higher, grandparents, uncles, aunts, friends, cousins and neighbors. No experience needed, no prep, no computer sign-up! The night of the festival you will be given a paper with numbers of 3 projects to visit. You ask the kids simple questions about their project, initial that you were there and leave the kids a quick note of encouragement in their program books. Just let us know as you enter the building on Feb 22 that you are interested in reviewing.
*Demonstration Rooms: there are 6 stations and we need a total of 16 people. Shifts are from 6-6:45 and 6:45-7:30, only 45 minutes. You will help the kids stay in line, and assist them minimally with the demonstration. It is a simple and a fun way to help out!
Committees currently recruiting:
Book Fair Committee -- Our current book fair committee leaders will both have fifth graders next year and are ready to pass the torch to a new group. Help get books in the hands of our students, staff and teachers! We would love to have at least 2-4 more committee members. Every little bit of help, helps! Contact Darcy Humphrey email@example.com or Katie Copp firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Spring Carnival -- The next meeting is Monday, February 25th at 7:00 p.m. Whether it's helping only with one part of planning or only one item on the day-of, every little bit helps to pull off a great event! We would really love to have about 6 more people join the group. Contact Michelle Hebden email@example.com or Kelly Ruhl firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Recognize a deserving volunteer? Drop his/her name in the “Big Beep” bucket in the front office, near the volunteer sign-in computer. A winner is selected at each month’s PTC meeting.
Thank you for supporting Ridgewood!
Orissa Crispin and Julie Larson
Ridgewood PTC Volunteer Coordination Team
**If you no longer have children attending Ridgewood Elementary, please notify
Family Movie Night
Please note that this is not a "drop off" event; children must be accompanied by a parent.
Gaming Club News
Gaming Club will now take place every other Friday starting on February 1st and going until May 24th. We will be meeting from 3:15-4:30pm in the Library/Tech Lab. The meet-up dates are as listed below:
Feb 1 and 15
March 1 and 15
April 12 and 26
May 10 and 24
A few notes about what to expect:
- As always, snacks are provided!
- Gaming Club is FREE--there is no cost to participate!
- Students are allowed to bring their own gaming materials in but they must have their name clearly printed on each item
- Students with their own materials (Pokemon cards, Magic the Gathering cards, etc) must turn in their cards at the beginning of the meet-up days and may collect them at the beginning of the Club Session.
Please be sure to contact Ryan Cutsforth at email@example.com if there are any changes to enrollment or go-home plans, or any other questions, concerns, or comments you might have.
Each lesson throughout the year is designed to focus on these 1-3 elements of art.
Last month, students learned about geometric and organic shapes in the primitive style of the French artist, Henri Rousseau (ahn-REE roo-SOE). He is best known for his paintings of jungle scenes drawn completely from his imagination. Students then created tigers hiding in their own imaginary jungle scene and many are on view in the halls outside their classrooms.
This month, students will learn about actual and implied texture in portraiture in the style of another French artist, Jacques Louis David (Jzh-OCK Loo-EE Da-VEED), a Neoclassical painter. He is known for his political paintings during the French Revolution and his realistic portraits of prominent French citizens, including Napoleon. Students will be exploring texture to create their very own realistic self portraits.
The 30th annual Ridgewood Elementary Science Festival is scheduled for February 22nd, 2019. The Ridgewood Science Festival will celebrate its 30th anniversary due to the parent volunteers behind it. If you are interested in being a part of the science festival committee, please contact Matt Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help. You don’t need to be a scientist; you just need to be interested in helping promote science at Ridgewood. There is no required commitment during the school/work day.
Here is a short video highlighting a previous festival.
Have a very scientific week,
Ridgewood Science Festival Committee
Unscheduled Early Dismissal - What’s your plan?
During an unscheduled early dismissal, schools will use the emergency closure plan you indicated for your student in enrollment and enrollment verification. During the online process, you were asked to indicate what the student should do in case of emergency or early school closure.
You were only allowed to choose one option. The three options were:
- Pick up by Parent/Emergency Contact/Daycare
- School Bus to Home/Neighbor/Daycare
- Walk/Ride Bike/Drive to Home/Neighbor/Daycare
If you don’t remember what you selected, you can check by logging into ParentVUE and clicking on “Student Info” in the left hand navigation. Your selection will be displayed at the bottom of the page under “Other Data.”
If you wish to change this plan, contact your school or reference the “Online Registration/Enrollments and Verifications Guide.” *Please note, if you choose to update your information online, the information is not updated in the student information system until the school has accepted your verification. This process may take up to two weeks to be completed. The fastest way to update your information is to call the school.
Please make a note of the option you selected and keep the information somewhere handy, in the event of a future early school closure.
Inclement Weather Procedures and Information
School closure or delayed start decisions will typically be communicated to media outlets and posted on the District website, Facebook and Twitter by 5:30 a.m.
We encourage families to make transportation and attendance decisions for their child(ren) based on their own assessment of travel conditions at their location.
When all district schools and facilities are closed
- All daytime and evening activities/events on closure days are cancelled.
When there is a 2-hour delay in opening school
- All schools will open two hours later than regularly scheduled.
- The following classes are cancelled: AM early intervention, AM Preschool Classes, AM Health Careers, Auto Program & Terra Nova Program
- Buses are on snow routes
- There will be no bus service for Bonny Slope, Nancy Ryles and Sato elementary schools.
- Bus services will not be provided to McKinney-Vento students living outside of the district.
When school is on time and buses are on snow routes
- All schools operate on regular daily schedules.
- There will be no bus service for Bonny Slope, Nancy Ryles and Sato elementary schools
- Terra Nova Program is cancelled all day.
- If the weather forecast calls for declining weather conditions throughout the day, the district will implement snow routes for PM dismissal.
When weather conditions necessitate an early closure of schools
- We encourage you to refer to the BSD website, School Messenger and local media for more detailed information.
- All daytime and evening activities/events are cancelled.
Wednesday – Early Dismissal School Days
- The District will not have a 2-hour delay on Wednesday. The District will maintain a regular Wednesday schedule with Early Release or close schools for the day
Información sobre las Inclemencias del Tiempo Padres y Tutores el Distrito Escolar de Beaverton
Las decisiones que se tomen de cerrar las escuelas o comenzar clases más tarde, normalmente se comunica a los medios de comunicación y se publican en el sitio web del distrito escolar, Facebook y Twitter a más tardar a las 5:15 a.m.
Les pedimos y los apoyamos para que tomen una decisión como familia si su hijo debe asistir a la escuela dependiendo si las condiciones de transporte son seguras desde su localidad.
Cuando todas las escuelas e instalaciones del Distrito están cerradas
- Todas las actividades durante el día y noche se cancelarán; incluyendo los eventos.
Cuando las clases comienzan 2 horas más tarde
- Todas las escuelas abrirán dos horas más tarde del horario regular.
- Las siguientes clases se cancelan: Intervención Temprana de la Mañana, Clases de Preescolar de la Mañana, Los programas de Health Careers, Auto Program y Terra Nova de la mañana
- Los autobuses usan rutas de nieve.
- No hay servicio de autobús para las escuelas primarias de Bonny Slope, Nancy Ryles y Sato.
- No hay servicio de autobús para los estudiantes de McKinney-Vento que viven fuera del Distrito.
Cuando las clases comienzan a la misma hora y los autobuses usan rutas de nieve
- Todas las escuelas tienen el horario regular.
- No hay servicio de autobús para las escuelas primarias de Bonny Slope, Nancy Ryles y Sato
- Se cancelarán las clases del programa de Terra Nova.
- Si el pronóstico del tiempo indica que las condiciones del tiempo empeoren durante el día, el Distrito tendrá rutas de nieve para la salida de la tarde.
Cuando es necesario cerrar las escuelas temprano debido a las condiciones del clima
- Les pedimos que usen como referencia el sitio web del distrito, School Messenger y los medios locales de comunicación para obtener más información.
- Todas las actividades durante el día y noche se cancelarán; incluyendo los eventos.
Miércoles – Día de Salida Temprana
- El Distrito no comenzará clases 2 horas más tarde el miércoles. El Distrito mantendrá un horario regular el miércoles, con Salida Temprana o cierre de escuelas todo el día.
After School Enrichments
Aloha-Beaverton Junior Baseball - Spring Registration
Beaverton YDP - Lacrosse Registration
Cedar Mill Little League - Baseball Registration
Cedar Mill Little League - Incripciones para el Béisbol
Chess Odyssey - Chess Club
Cub Scout Pack 122 - Scout me In
Kids Like Languages - Mandarin and Spanish Classes
Saturday Academy - ARTrithmetic
Science Matters - STEM Club
TAZ - Tennis Class