Mill Creek OST
April Showers Bring May Flowers
April hath put a spirit of youth in everything. ~William Shakespeare
No fooling, we're blooming some fun in JCPRD's MCE OST! With the weather warming up it's time to shake off the winter coats and spend some time enjoying fresh air, sunshine, outdoor games, crafts, and experiments. We will also be cooking up some spring deliciousness that we hope your child(ren) will want to serve you. We will continue with the Chess club, Writing/Drawing clubs, Kid Fit club, and a new club facilitated by our own MCE OST students, LEGO club.
Tuesday, April 21st is an All Day Care Day (last one): Scoring and Soaring at the "Parks". We'll roll on over to Park Lanes Bowling to try to score a turkey or two, departing MCE at 9:10am then at 11:30am we'll head on over to Grandview and enjoy one of the best parks in Missouri, Valley Park. After we eat our picnic lunch the kids will soar through all the obstacles this park provides, we'll return to MCE at 4:30pm. Your child will need to bring a sack lunch, socks (for bowling), and appropriate footwear (for the park). Check out the links highlighted in blue to check out the "parks".
Please remember to sign the permission form for the above field trip.
Check the Important Dates section below for even more important dates!
The 2015-2016 OST program enrollment begins at noon on Monday, April 13th and Summer Camp enrollment has begun, sign up now to ensure your child(ren)'s spot.
2015-2016 MCE OST Program
Summer camp 2015
Shawnee Mission School District is hosting a FREE lunch program for their students this summer for grades K-12th at Rising Star which will allow MCE/RSE camper(s) to enjoy a free lunch everyday we are on site.
To register for any indoor or outdoor camps please call at 913.831.3359 or go online at http://jcprdkids.com/youthforms .
If you have other question email Jen Thomas at email@example.com
JCPRD continues to help promote & advise OST programs on Capitol Hill
Commit to Health...
Happy 60th birthday JCPRD: A year of celebration
ICYMI: "Every Kid in a Park" Initiative Announced
Last month, President Obama announced the "Every Kid in a Park" initiative that will give every fourth-grader in America a one year pass for free admission to all of the nation’s public lands. This initiative aims to get more children outdoors exploring and learning about the natural world around them. So what does this mean for community parks and recreation? It means we can show the nation that all of our country’s parks are ready to welcome all children to explore, grow and connect with nature.
Play time on the trails and in the park
CONGRATULATIONS to one of our own!
Cold, then warm, then hot, then cold again
In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours. ~Mark Twain
With the Kansas temps fluctuating from chilly to warm and back to chilly again, we ask that your child layer up and continue to bring the appropriate attire (jackets or hoodies with child's name labeled in it) to wear outside. We will enjoy the outdoors when permissible .
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
Friday, April 3rd
Friday, April 17th
None for this month
All Day Care Days:
Wednesday, April 21st: Park Lane Bowling and Valley Park in Grandview, Mo. Depart MCE 9:10am and return to MCE at 4:30pm. Our operating hours are 7am-6pm.
None for this month
Official Last Day of School:
Friday, May 22nd and will be an Early Release Day
SUMMER CAMP registration is in full swing, you may register for indoor and outdoor camps at 913.831.3359 or go online at jcprdkids.com.
2014-2015 Out of School Time enrollment is available Monday, April 13th, checkout JCPRD's link.
- Check-In: We will check students in at the Café. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.599.5785 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: During snack time your child(ren) can sign up for our homework/reading time that will begin directly after snack (roughly 3:30pm) in the café. We encourage kids to sign up but do not force them. When they do sign up we do expect them to come to the room and QUIETLY do their homework or read for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Activities: Some of the clubs that kids will be able to join are: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Healthy New Year, and Engineering. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Check-Out: When you come to pick up your child(ren) please remember to WALK IN and SIGN THEM OUT. There is a late charge of a $1 per minute after 6:00pm
MCE OST Staff
Stephanie Griggs-Lead Teacher M, W, & F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher T & R
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher M-F
Laryissa Jones-Lead teacher M-F
Sierra Macklin-Assistant Teacher M-F
Graham Wills-Lead Teacher M-F
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F