The Starside Communication - April 8, 2016
A Message From Your Principal:
Greetings, Starside Families!
During the fourth quarter, our school team begins planning for the following school year and student class placement. We believe the best learning environment is created when there is an equal distribution of students according to academic ability levels, social/behavioral skills, leadership skills, work habits, and gender. Other variables include instructional/learning styles, social dynamics between students, and an equivalent number of students in each class at grade level. Classroom assignment of students for the upcoming year is accomplished with the assistance of the principal, classroom teachers, counselor, specials teachers (music, PE, library), and if applicable our SIT (Student Intervention) Team, and/or special services teachers.
As you can see a large number of variables are taken into consideration. It is an important task, and one we take seriously. We want you to know that we will do our very best to provide the type of environment that will help your child have a successful school year.
We do not accept teacher requests. If there is an instructional environment you feel your child would benefit from, you may describe this in an email to Mrs. Meyer, email@example.com. Information must be received prior to April 22, 2016 for consideration.
Coffee with Kris and Donuts with Dustin
Starside State Assessment Schedule Grades 3-5
4/13 - 4/15 Math Test @ 12:45 - 2:45
4/19 - 4/21 Math Test @ 9:00 - 11:00
4/11 - 4/15 ELA Test @ 10:00 - 12:00 (This is a change)
4/25 - 4/27 Math Test @ 10:00 - 12:00
ATTENTION Sparkle & Club Students: This was the last week for sparkle and clubs!
- 11 - 5th Grade Parent Information Night at LTMS 6:00-6:30 PM
- 12 - 4th General PTA Meeting 6:00pm TIME CHANGE
- 15 Spirit sticks on sell before school for $1
- 15 - Best Choice, Box Tops, Campbell's, Coke Rewards & Tyson Collection Deadline.
- 22 - NO SCHOOL FOR ALL STUDENTS
- 29 - Coffee with Kris 9:00am
- 5/2-5/6 - Staff Appreciation Week
- 12 - Kindergarten Field Day 9:30-11:30
- 13 - Grades 1-5 Field Day 9:00 - 11:00 and 1:00 - 3:00
- 20 - Last Day of School!!
- Please send lunch money to school in an envelope with your child and teachers name. If you have more than one child at SE, please be specific about how much money should be applied to each child's account.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please call the SE office by 9:00am to order a school lunch. Of course, you are always welcome to bring your own lunch.
- Lunch prices--$2.25 student/$3.45 adult/$.50 extra milk/juice.
- Please report absences by 9:00am at 913-667-6279
- Online at http://bit.ly/1PtJPle
- If your child is absent and we have not received a message, your child's teacher becomes very concerned and we are required by the district to call you and your emergency contacts for the safety of your child.
- Extended absence form: If you will be taking your child out of school for more than 3 days, please complete an extended absence form. This gives your child's teacher plenty of notice to get homework together.
Last PTA meeting is coming up
Last PTA meeting will be at 6:00 pm on April 12th! Please plan on joining us as we discuss the great things we have going on for next year and get some information on the board and committee positions opening up!! We have a wonderful team here at Starside! Desserts and sweets will be provided at the meeting!!!!
PTA spirit sticks
Our PTA Spirit Stick Committee will be selling "mining character" spirit sticks the morning of April 15th before school for $1 each. Supplies will be limited. Other miscellaneous spirit sticks will be available for purchase as well. Spirit sticks will be sold in the front entry area near the office after the doors open. This will be our last sale for the school year.
50 cent Fridays for 5th Graders
The Student Nutrition Department is excited to announce this new cafeteria dining opportunity for all district 5th grade students as they prepare to enter middle school.
Beginning Friday, April 1, and continuing until the end of the school year, all 5th grade students will be eligible to participate in our "50 Cent Fridays" a la carte snack program. During their normal lunch period, students will be allowed to select from a limited number of items for sale in addition to their hot lunch or home lunch. The attached document provides additional details on how the program will work, the items that may be for sale and how to opt out if you do not wish for your student to participate. Students may bring cash/coins or you may add additional funds to your student's lunch account.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your student's building kitchen manager or lead cashier. Thank you for the opportunity to serve your family!
Director of Student Nutrition
USD 232 De Soto
Negative balances and free/reduced
Our fifth graders always look forward to 50 cent Fridays! Your child can bring 50 Cents to school and purchase an item from al a cart. There are a few things you should keep in mind. If your child’s lunch account has a negative balance, they will NOT be able to purchase. Any money they bring in will be applied to be their negative balance until that is paid in full. Also, if your child is currently receiving free/reduced lunches, they must still bring in the 50 cents in order to get the item they want from al a cart. Your child will not receive the item they want for free.
Contact Barb Lawson with any questions
Counselor Crow's Variety Show
Pop tab update: We reached our Goal!!!!
WAY TO GO STARSIDE! We have officially reached out goal bringing in 75 POUNDS of pop tabs to donate to Ronald McDonald House. We have until the first week of May to bring in tabs so keep them coming!
GUM DAY: On Wednesday, April 13th the Starside Student Council will be sponsoring another Gum Day fundraiser. Students can bring $1 to their teacher on Wednesday and they will be allowed to chew gum ALL day. When students turn in their money, they will receive a sticker to show that they can chew gum. Students must bring in their own gum to chew!
Join us in celebrating the week of the young child on April 11-15
Ltms assistant position available
We have an opening at LTMS. It is for a 6.5-hour assistant position that has immediate availability. The position is posted on the district website for applications. Thank you!
Director of Student Nutrition
USD 232 De Soto(t) 913.667.6200 | (f) 913.667.6202
Click here to get more information. The pre-registration starts on April 7th. Please contact Laura Swoyer to pre-register: Lswoyer1@jccc.edu
USD 232 has a contract with First Student for out busing. If you have an issue, question, or compliment concerning student bussing, please contact First Student directly at 422-8501. They will be able to answer any questions you may have.