The Road to Perseverance
By: Anisha Bandhakavi
10 THINGS THOMAS FROM THE MAZE RUNNER HAD TO OVERCOME
- Fitting in with the other boys at the Glade
- Gaining back his dignity after a boy named Ben attacks him on his first day
- Having so many questions that everyone refuses to answer
- Having unwanted curiosity
- Overcoming the realization that he is not crazy when he discovers he is telepathic with Teresa
- Risking his life in order to get some memories back from the past to save the boys in the Glade
- Gaining trust from the boys after they discover that he and Teresa helped make the Maze
- Escaping from the Glade without dying and keeping his friends alive
- Getting over his best friend Chuck's death
- Getting over the fact that the Glade is only the first part of their adventure
ABOUT BETHANY HAMILTON AND HER ROAD TO PERSEVERANCE
When Bethany was 13 years old, she had to face one of the biggest adversities of her life. She was a competitive surfer, and her future career was almost sabotaged one night when she was out surfing and a shark attacked her, leaving her without her left arm. This was an adversity in her life because it affected the basic things that normal people are able to do. She had to learn how to do simple things like peel an orange, go to the bathroom, and change her clothes all over again- let alone her big surfing career. That was a major setback, but it was an adversity she had to overcome in order to have a close to normal life again.
A moment Mare from Red Queen had to face adversity
If you answered 'yes' to most of the survey questions above, then you can definitely relate with Mare Barrow from Red Queen in this moment Mare persevered:
"I have lived that life already, in the mud, in the shadows, in a cell, in a silk dress. I will never submit again. I will never stop fighting." (Aveyard, pg. 255)
- Dashner, James. The Maze Runner. New York: Delacorte, 2009. Print.
- Aveyard, Victoria. Red Queen. New York: Harper Collins, 2015. Print.
- Hamilton, Bethany. Soul Surfer. New York: Simon, 2011. Print.