We Are Together Tamanend!
September 27, 2019
Congratulations to our New iTeam Members
Congratulations to those students who have been chosen as Tamanend’s iTeam members for this school year. These students will be available during their Resource time throughout the school year to help classmates with technical issues that may arise with their computers!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
School Holiday--Monday, September 30
7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Fair--Thursday, October 3
9th Grade Chorus Pops Concert--Thursday, October 3 at 7:00 PM
Tamanend Pink Out--Friday, October 4
Second Magazine Drive Collection Date--Friday, October 4
Fall Dance--Friday, October 4 7:30 PM--9:30 PM
Parent Book Club--Monday, October 7 at 6:30 PM
School Holiday--Wednesday, October 9
Reminder--First Tamanend Parent Book Club is October 7
Tamanend Fundraiser--Magazine Drive
Reminder--Tamanend Homework Club
If your child is looking for a quiet place to complete their homework or a place to receive extra support with a challenging assignment and/or prepping for a test, the Homework Club is the place for him or her. The Homework Club at Tamanend Middle School will be held in the Cafeteria on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 until 4:00. Peer tutoring will also be offered for students that are interested. The goal of the Tamanend Homework Club is to assist our students in tapping into their full potential by giving them a quiet, supportive place to complete their homework.
Reminder--Help Us Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Kelly Ann Dolan Basketball Tournament
STUDENT COUNCIL CORNER
Magazine Drive & Fall Dance
Hey Tamanend! Student Council has a few reminders for this week and next week. First, our magazine sale is in full swing! If you have obtained 12 orders for the magazine drive by our first turn-in day (Friday, September 27th), then you have earned an ALL ACCESS, EAGLES/ LINC, VIP TOUR!!! In addition, any five orders will earn you a spot in our October Bingo party! Our second and final turn-in day for magazine and cookie dough orders is Friday, October 4th. Thank you to all who are participating in this fundraiser, it is a great help to our school! In other Student Council news, don’t forget about the fall dance next Friday, October 4th from 7:30 to 9:30pm in our Tamanend Gym. Remember, it’s a ANIMAL PRINT THEME, so do your best to wear clothes and accessories that fit the theme! Tickets will be on sale all next week during lunch for $7 or you can purchase tickets at the door when you arrive Friday night. Can’t wait to see you there!!
Your Student Council Officers
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--7th Grade Field Trip to PA Renaissance Fair
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--One School, One Book
Starting this summer, we will be engaging the Tamanend community in a One School, One Book program. A committee of teachers, librarians, and administrators worked for a year to choose a book that would appeal to our entire school community. We are pleased to announce that we will be reading Posted by John David Anderson. We encourage all of next year’s Tamanend students to read this book over the summer. We are planning a variety of activities throughout the 19-20 school year to engage all members of the Tamanend community in discussions related to this book.
Click here to hear Posted author John David Anderson talk about this book.
Click here for audio files of the book. Steps for downloading audio files to phones:
- Go to Tamanend’s website and scroll down to "School Links."
- Click the link "One Book, One School- Posted (Audiobook)."
- Log-In using your CBSD email account and password.
- Click the Play button and enjoy!
Update--Renovations and Improvements to Tamanend
We are excited that the second phase of renovations will conclude on Friday, September 27! When students return to school on Tuesday, October 1 the entire Science hallway will re-open and the teachers in the last phase of the renovation project will return to their original classrooms. This will significantly improve hallway traffic flow in the building. The next phase of renovations begins Monday, September 30 and is scheduled to conclude in early November.
The schedules of students whose classrooms are changing will update in Portal over the weekend. Any student whose locker will be relocated was contacted this week by Mr. Dudley.
Reminder--Technology Fee for Student Laptops Due
Central Bucks is in the second year of implementation of the 1:1 technology initiative. The purpose of the initiative is to allow for creation, mobility, and innovation at home and school. Every Tamanend 7th, 8th, and 9th Grader will have a laptop this year.
Families will be asked to pay a $50 usage fee for the device per student per year. This fee will cover breaks, repairs and other services. MyPaymentsPlus opens for payment Monday, August 5th. Please note:
- Families who qualify for the Free/Reduced Lunch Program will automatically receive a $0 fee in MyPayments Plus. Even though the fee is waived, families must still "checkout" to complete this step and be marked as paid on our technology report.
If you are a family dealing with financial hardships, please contact your building principal to discuss payment options.
Please contact your child's Guidance counselor if you do not have Internet access at home so that we may assist you in obtaining this service.
You may also click HERE to learn more about this initiative.
Tips for Troubleshooting Computer Issues
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Join Us for the 9th Grade Chorus Pops Concert
- School holiday
- 7th Grade Field Hockey vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Soccer vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Field Hockey vs. Newtown (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Soccer vs. Newtown (Home; 3:15)
- Volleyball @ Unami (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Football @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 7th Grade Football vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- Congratulations to the 8th Grade Field Hockey team for picking up their first win of the season!
- ATTENTION WINTER ATHLETES: If you are interested in participating in a Tamanend Winter sport--GIRLS BASKETBALL, WRESTLING, BOYS BASKETBALL--there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of the Winter sports season. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page which can be found HERE.
- For those trying out for GIRLS BASKETBALL and those planning to WRESTLE…Family ID opens October 1st. Please register as soon as possible as tryouts begin on November 4th for girls basketball and wrestling begins later in November.
- If students plan to stay after school on game days, they must be at the field and not walking around or leaving campus. If students are not where they are supposed to be, they will not be permitted to attend future games. Thank you for your cooperation.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- Open gyms for CB South boys basketball will be held on Mondays from 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00-4:30, beginning on Monday, September 16th and running until Thursday, November 14th.
A meeting will be held for all 9th through 12th graders interested in CB South Wrestling on 10/1/19 at 7:15 PM in the CB South Forum. (Please note the date change from 9/26/19.
There will be a CB South Winter Track & Field Interest Meeting on Thursday Oct 3 @ 2:50 in Gym Health room D204 at CB South.
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Breakfast is Served!
Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--MBIT--50 Year Open House
Reminder--Bucks County Book Fest
Reminder--Free YMCA Memberships for 7th Graders
Empower U Program at YMCA
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Youth Recognition Award!
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults.
The chosen Asset for October is #18: Youth Programs—recognizing a young person who spends 3 or more hours per week in sports, clubs or organizations at school or in the community. Please submit your nomination through this link. All nominations are due by Friday, 10/18. We will announce our building winner and acknowledge all winners on Tuesday, 10/22 during Advisory.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Ms. Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in box tops to the attention of NJHS.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Oct. 17th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900