NCA is mission-minded. Every class has its own mission project, and these projects help our students to learn to serve. The Commission, sent monthly, will feature our class missions.
How One Student Can Make a Difference...
Over the summer, Hudson Casto (2nd grade), his sister, Anna Kate (Kindergarten) and baby brother, William, set up a lemonade stand to raise money for the Grace Center Foundation, which was the mission project Hudson had learned about last year in his first grade classroom. Hudson has a real heart for missions and is a great example of one of our students understanding how important it is to serve God and help others.
Featured Upcoming Mission Projects:
- 6th Grade and the Salvation Army
- 7th Grade and Operation Christmas Child
6th Grade is Working in the Army
The Salvation Army that is! Our 6th grade mission is serving at our local Salvation Army headquarters. On September 18th they went there to serve as teachers’ aides in the childcare center caring for children ages 18 months through 5 years. While there they also toured the facility and learned more about the ministry of the mission.
Throughout the month of October we will be encouraging each student to bring in 5 or more food items to help in the Annual Fall Food Drive for the Salvation Army. The 6th grade will be coordinating the food drive as part of their yearlong project. Food items requested include:
- stuffing mixes
- canned fruits and vegetables
- instant potatoes
- canned meats such as tuna, spam or stews
- canned and dry pasta
- spaghetti sauce
- dry and canned milk
- peanut butter and jelly
- cake mixes
- cranberry sauce
- baby food
Grocery bags will be coming home at the end of September as a reminder. Donations will be received in the big red box in the lobby throughout the month of October. Please kindly check expiration dates on items before delivering to us. Together we can make a difference in the hunger needs of Collier County.
7th Grade Operation Christmas Child
November 3rd will be here before we know it! On that special day NCA students and their families are invited to participate in our Third Annual Shoebox Packing Party which will be held in our gym. It is the mission project of the 7th grade. Tables will be set up, and we will need “shoppers” to go from table to table and fill up the shoeboxes with items that will be sent to children around the world. As these children receive the shoeboxes, they will also be given a copy of the Gospel in their own language, which will be even more life changing than the contents of the shoebox!
Before November we would heartily encourage you to see if there are any donations that you might be able to share or acquire from businesses that we could put into the shoeboxes. Below is a suggested list of things that we will need for the shoeboxes. You are not required to give what is specified for your student’s class – it is only a suggestion. You may donate anything on the list as you are led by the Spirit. If you can help, please drop off your donations to Mrs. McWilliams in the art room before October 30th.
Suggested donations are:
- Pre-K: stickers and combs
- Grade K: flashlights and batteries
- Grade 1: small Christmas toys and stocking stuffers (no Santas, please)
- Grade 2: small stuffed animals and musical instruments
- Grade 3: toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Grade 4: school supplies (remember they have to fit in a shoebox!)
- Grade 5: balls, yoyos, small toys, baseball caps (again, remember they have to fit!)
- Grade 6: crayons, coloring books, markers, hand powered pencil sharpeners (We have lots of colored pencils already donated)
- Grade 7: plastic shoeboxes ( 5-5.2 qt size), cardboard shoeboxes (adult-sized)
- Grade 8: bars of soap, washcloths (please no sanitizers or liquid soaps)
- Staff and Administration: youth sized t-shirts, socks, hairclips, ties and bows, costume jewelry, hard candies, warm gloves and scarves
An Overview of Our Missions by Grade:
- PK- Laces of Love
- Kindergarten- Grace Center Foundation
- Grade 1- Shell Point Stamp Ministry
- Grade 2- Ronald McDonald House
- Grade 3- MAF Coffee Fellowship
- Grade 4- Feed My Starving Children
- Grade 5- ECHO
- Grade 6- Salvation Army Childcare Center and October Food Drive
- Grade 7- Operation Christmas Child
- Grade 8- Redlands Christian Migrant Association