COVID-19 & Distance Learning
*A special edition of the Teaching & Learning newsletter
Information for Educators
This is a little early, and obviously not part of our initial plan, but here is April's Teaching & Learning newsletter.
We will be monitoring the COVID-19 situation carefully and following all guidelines set by our Governor and the State Health Department. The purpose of this newsletter is to share facts and information concerning teaching & learning and professional development.
For important updates and additional resources, we will notify you via email and as always, you can find information on our website.
Please don't hesitate to be in touch with questions or concerns,
The Madison-Champaign ESC's Teaching & Learning team
This site is available in English, Spanish, and Chinese. Just click the button and it will take you to the website.
Self-care during this trying time
According to the CDC, the best thing we can do to take care of ourselves (besides physical distancing and washing our hands) is coping with our stress. They recommend:
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including social media. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be upsetting.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, get plenty of sleep, and avoid alcohol and drugs.
- Make time to unwind. Try to do some other activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others. Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
Accessing Free Resources
Free Educational Websites for Home
Sometimes screen time is a necessity if we have children at home and work we need to do. Here are a few resources that make screen time a learning time:
- CodeMonkey: a game-based education program that teaches children to code. It comes with a membership fee, but there's a free 14-day trial that doesn't require a credit card.
- BrainPop: Online learning across subject areas for children in kindergarten through middle school and ELL learning for all age groups. Free.
- Khan Academy: Online learning in math, science, and literacy for all age groups. Standards-aligned. Free.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Interactive learning journeys for all ages.
Click here for facts sheets, posters, and resources for your school/classroom.