Brookwood Elementary School - August 6, 2021
Mark Your Calendar:
- August 9 - 4th & 5th Grade Students Return In-Person
- August 9 - Specials: K-1 - Day 4; 2-5 - Day 3
- August 10 - Specials: K-1 - Day 5; 2-5 - Day 4
- August 11 - Specials: K-1 - Day 6; 2-5 - Day 5
- August 12 - Specials: K-1 - Day 7; 2-5 - Day 6
- August 13 - Specials: K-1 - Day 8; 2-5 - Day 7
- August 17 - K - 2 Curriculum Night 6:30 pm
- August 19 - 3 - 5 Curriculum Night 6:30 pm
- August 31 - Dogwood Pizza Night
- September 6 - Labor Day - Student & Staff Holiday
- September 14 - Digital Learning Day #1
Welcome Back Brookwood Families!
We've had a great opening to this school year and have loved seeing our K-3 students in person this week. We look forward to seeing our 4th and 5th graders beginning on Monday. Our BES staff members have worked so hard to prepare for this school year and have enjoyed meeting with students this week. We are thrilled to partner with you to ensure a successful year for your child. Please reach out to us if there is anything we can do to support you.
Have a wonderful weekend!
A Peek Inside the First Days of School
Transportation Change Reminders
If your student ever needs to go home a different way than his or her afternoon transportation plan, please do not forget to send in a note to school with your student to give to the teacher.
If you need to change your student's afternoon transportation after the start of the school day, please call Brookwood Elementary School (770 - 736 - 4360) to make the change. Do not email your student's teacher about transportation changes. Teachers may not get to check email until after dismissal is over.
Early Checkout Procedures
For the safety of all of our students, please be prepared to present your ID to enter the school in order to conduct business or when you check your student out of school. Please also help keep our students safe by following these early checkout procedures as listed in the Brookwood Elementary School Handbook:
- If your student needs to leave early, please pick him/her up by 2:50 p.m. After 2:50 p.m. the students should either ride the bus or join the car riders for carpool pick up.
- All checkouts should occur with a person listed as authorized by the parent as either parent/guardians or emergency contacts.
- If anyone other than a parent/guardian/emergency contact wishes to take a student from school, the child must bring a note to the teacher in the morning from the parent stating who will be picking up the student. Please instruct the person you are authorizing to bring a photo ID.
- All students must be signed out in the office where they will meet the parent or other authorized person.
- Please be prepared to show a picture ID.
- Do not go the classroom to get your student.
- If restrictions exist concerning individuals who may pick-up your student please notify the school in WRITING.
We hope that you and your family had a fun, restful summer break. We are super excited to jump back into the swing of things and work with your children this year. It is our hope that this school year will be filled with successful experiences for all students. Below is a brief overview of our Counseling Program and Services. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.
Our mission at Brookwood Elementary is to provide a comprehensive, developmentally appropriate program to address students' academic and career goals in addition to supporting their personal and social needs. This mission is made possible through a partnership with parents/guardians, staff, and community members to enable all our students to become successful and productive students, responsible citizens, and contributing, lifelong learners in a diverse and changing world.
Why Do Kids Need School Counseling:
- Children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationship with others.
- Children who understand their feelings are better able to control their behaviors.
- We know that stress can affect focus and learning, but its impact can be reduced with proven self-regulations strategies.
- Schools, parents, and communities that communicate and collaborate provide the most effective support to children.
- Attitudes formed during elementary school shape future attitudes towards learning, self, and society.
Counseling Services Offered at Brookwood Elementary:
- Individual Counseling
- Small Group Counseling
- Monthly Classroom Counseling lessons
- Social Emotional Learning Strategies
- Crisis Intervention
- Consultation with parents and teachers
- Community Referrals
Issues Commonly Addressed:
- anger management
- friendship skills
- stress reduction
- conflict resolution
- managing feelings
Our mission isn’t possible without the wonderful support we receive from each of you. If we can ever assist you or your child in any way, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Together this year will be our best year yet!
Your School Counselors,
Angel Cunningham, Grades K-2LaKendra Todd, Grades 3-5
Information from the Cafeteria