Twitter 101 - Getting Started
last updated 11/9/2020
For educators Twitter is a Professional Learning Network (PLN) open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Create an Account
- Go to the sign-up page on Twitter and create an account.
- You will need to provide your name, an email address, create a password, and choose a username.
- Confirm your Twitter account via the email address you provided.
NOTE: Usernames can be changed later.
Edit your Profile
- When logged into your account, click the Edit Profile button on the right side.
- Update your photo and/or header image.
- Update your name, location, and/or bio (your job, interests, hobbies).
- Click the Save changes button.
- Keep it short! Tweets have to be 280 characters or less.
- Everything is public. Anyone can see your tweets unless you have a private profile or you send someone a direct message. Always remember to THINK BEFORE YOU TWEET!
- How do I keep up with all the tweets? Don't try to read everything, especially if you follow more than 10 people. The Twitter feed can become overwhelming, but just remember you don't have to read it all!
- You can follow anyone on Twitter...and anyone can follow you.
NOTE: Some users are private, and you will need to request to follow them and be able to read their tweets.
- Search for an account and click the Follow button. The account will be added to your following list.