Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place For Jaguar Band News
October 28th - November 3rd
Message From Mr. Lucita
Trunk or Treat
Get your limited edition jOURney shirt!
Jaguar Band Fundraiser: Johnson Java
Jaguar Band Booster Fundraiser: Poinsettias
Jaguar Caps For Sale!
Help Wanted: Pit Crew and Meal Pick Up and Serve
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
2 Week Practice Schedule
Competition Send Offs
How To Sign Up With VIPS District Volunteer Program and Log Hours
Sync Your Calendar
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
From Mr. Lucita
Happy end of Band-tober! Well almost anyway! We are down to our final contest weekend. This week we will be preparing for the final marching contest of the 2019 season. The Jaguar Band is currently still on the waiting list for the Bands of America Super Regional contest. We should have a definitive answer within the next day or so. This weekend was the UIL Area Marching Contest and there may be a few cancellations as a result of bands not advancing to state. A detailed schedule will be sent home as soon as we hear from BOA. Regardless of our participation in BOA or USBands we will have a major contest this weekend! We want to finish strong!
Tuesday our awesome boosters will be hosting a Trunk-or-Treat for our band students immediately after practice! Looking forward to seeing all of the decorated trunks and tasty treats!!
Don’t forget that our Johnson Java fundraiser has started. The band is selling Premimum Jag Band Coffee just in time for the holidays! It ends next week!
Speaking of Holidays you should start to hear the sounds of holiday music starting soon. With the end of marching season approaching it means the start of concert season and that means holiday music!
Also now that the weather is cooling off there have been many inquiries by the students about the staff jackets and as a result we have made those jackets available to them. The students were given a flyer and allowed to try on a jacket to determine the correct size should they want to buy one. The web address to purchase a jacket is https://stores.inksoft.com/johnsonjaguarband/shop/home
Please feel free to order a jacket if you would like. Orders accepted until Wednesday, 10/30. Jackets will be delivered to the school the week before we are dismissed for Thanksgiving!
Let’s have a great week of rehearsals as we push to the end of the inaugural Jaguar Band Marching Season!
Get Your jOURney Shirt Before They Are Gone!
Don't miss your chance to memorialize this most amazing year!
Please note that this is for parent/family shirts only. (Shirts are $15 and are Bella Canvas style/brand)
Order yours before they are gone! https://www.johnsonbands.com/product-page/2019-show-shirt-parent-only
Students have all received a complimentary show shirt courtesy of the Band Boosters! Student shirts are black and Parent/family shirts are royal blue. Both have 2019 show dates on the back.
Jaguar Band Fundraiser: Johnson Java! Sales end FRIDAY, Nov. 1st!
The Jaguar Band is hosting it's Johnson Java Coffee Fundraiser! To order yours before the weather gets cold, click on the link below. In order to make sure the Jaguar Band gets credit for the sale, make sure to do the following:
- In the billing address section during checkout, put the name of the student in "name" and Johnson Band in the "company name".
Thanks in advance for your support!
Jaguar Caps For Sale!
Because of the high demand, we are now taking pre-orders. Get yours by ordering online ($20). Be sure to share this link with all of your Jaguar friends and family!
Calling ALL Jaguar Band Families!
We have an amazing show and need help loading/unloading trailer and setting up equipment and props on the field. At competitions, this needs to be done in a certain time frame so the more help we have, the better! No experience is necessary! Things to think about...
- You do not have to commit to all games and/or competitions - you can sign up for as many or as few as you are available for.
- Please keep in mind that volunteers will have to do physical activity, including running and pushing/pulling heavy equipment. Work gloves are recommended.
- Make sure to get your Pit Crew shirt! Cost is $10.
- If you volunteer on Pit Crew, the cost of your ticket is covered with a field pass and the boosters will cover your meals during competition days! Please know that in order to ensure you receive a field pass, you MUST be signed up on the sign-up genius!
If you are interested in helping on the Pit Crew, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0848ABA62CA57-proppit
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call Clover Clamons at 512-468-8319.
Game Day AND Competition Day Meals
THANK YOU to the volunteers who helped with game day and Texas Marching Classic meals last week!
Please know that on competition days we serve the students lunch and dinner. So we need help to serve meals TWICE on those days. If you sign up for meal plans, please do not also sign up for Pit Crew.
If you don't have a background check filed with Hays as a volunteer, please click below to get it started. The times are subject to change as I figure out when the kids need to be fed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Volunteer Background Check:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on GAME DAYS:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on COMPETITION DAYS:
Helpful and Important Reminders For Game and Competition Days (UPDATED, PLEASE READ)
- SUMMER UNIFORM: Black band polo, khaki shorts, black belt, short socks, cap, band shoes.
- FULL UNIFORM: Black compression shorts, black band dri-fit, tall black socks, band shoes.
- ALL uniform pieces are REQUIRED.
- Please note that different socks are required for Summer vs Full uniform.
- Always pack/store uniform parts back in ONE bag so that it is ready for the next game or competition
- Please see above regarding "show hair".
- Students should pack (and be encouraged to use) deodorant. Game days are long and hot!
- Label caps, shoes (initials on the label on the inside of shoes), shirts, shorts, belts (anything they are changing in to and out of). If we find these items we have no way of knowing who to return them to. With so many kids changing and carrying their clothes around, stuff inevitably gets dropped or left behind. Paint pens (these come in all colors including silver or gold which can be seen on black) or Sharpie laundry markers work best for this. Any other pen or marker will rub off.
Please help your student with SHOW HAIR
** It is highly recommended that you assist your student with his/her hair before he/she arrives at the band hall (ready for inspection). If your student needs help with hair, they must bring their own products (comb, gel, bobby pins, bun makers, bun hair nets, etc.) and arrive in the hair room (library) no later than 15 minutes before inspection.
Show hair guidelines:
Hair needs to be in a bun, braids, or neatly pinned up. This is for ALL hair length, even those with shorter hair must have their hair up and back. Be sure to wet hair, use gel, a comb and bobby pins. We also recommend donut bun makers and bun hair nets to keep buns in place. The BOYS that have a regular length haircut simply need to apply some product (gel, spray, etc.) in an effort to keep it styled and neat. Those with long hair will need to pull it up and back. In an email sent on 9/16 through Charms there were 3 video examples of show hair (this was email with show hair info and info about Seguin game).
Competition Send Off's
Be sure to follow us on Facebook so that you know when to join us next Saturday as the band drives to the UIL competition.
We meet up at Dahlstrom MS and you can either bring a sign, use one of the extra signs we have available or just wave and cheer - we just want you there!
The schedule for Saturday isn't available at the time this newsletter is published but as soon as it is and we schedule send-off, it will be posted on Facebook. Hope to see you there!
10/29: 7:45 pm: Trunk or Treat
10/31: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Seguin
11/1: BOA Super Regional @ Alamodome
11/2: BOA Finals @ Alamodome
11/2: REMO Series Finale Marching Festival @ Kelly Reeves (if we do not get on the schedule for BOA San Antonio. We are currently 1st on the waitlist. We should know sometime this week.)
11/7: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Jarrell
11/9: TMEA Orchestra Winds/Percussion Auditions
11/15: TMEA Region Clinic/Concert
11/19: 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Band Boosters General Membership Meeting
11/21: TMEA 5A District Band Auditions
11/23: TMEA 5A District Band Auditions
11/25 - 11/29: Thanksgiving Break
* Please see the calendar on Charms or Band Booster website for details. Details below.
How to sign up with VIPS district volunteer program and log hours
V.I.P.S. (Volunteers in Public Schools) is required by HaysCISD for all volunteers that will be around students. Volunteers must be approved as a VIP volunteer BEFORE volunteering.
TO SIGN UP:
- From www.hayscisd.net choose Community> Become a Hays
- CISD volunteer.
- Follow the prompts given to complete the application.
- Our VIPS coordinator is Ms. Conder. When you visit the band hall, please see her immediately to get a name badge. Bring your driver’s license in for her to see.
TO LOG VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- Go to www.hayscisd.net
- Choose the “community” tab
- Click on “become a Hays CISD volunteer”
- Click on “VIPs Rewards”
- Click on “Log your VIPs Hours (volunteers)” and log in
- Click on the drop down menu on the left –“volunteer”
Sync Your Calendar to Charms!
Visit the Johnson Band Website for information on how to sync the Charms calendar to your phone. "How to sync" links are located above calendar. Just click on link appropriate for your type of phone!
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
To sign up for Remind 101 for band notifications:
- Send a text message to 81010 (enter this number where you would enter the phone number)
- The message will be @jagband19 (type this where you would type your text message)
- Hit "send"
- If you did this successfully, you will receive a text informing you that you signed up for the band remind messages.
Signing up for Remind for other clubs or classes will be similar. You will always send a text to 81010 but what you type into the text box will be different. For example, for an English class, it might be @smithsenglishclass.
Follow Us/Stay Connected
Remind 101 Full Band Code - Text @jagband19 to 81010
Remind 101 Parents Code - Text @jbparents to 81010
Remind 101 Pit Crew Code - Text @pitcrewja to 81010