The Friday Flyer
Boone Meadow Elementary
Our Preschoolers busy at work!
Julia copied the picture and built the same block sculpture!
Hunter is reading to the dinosaurs and showing them the pictures!
Preschool has talked about exploring different emotions this week!
Upcoming Events & Important Info
August 29 - Girl Scout visit during lunchtime
August 30 - Girl Scout Registration 6:00-8:00pm (Zionsville Town Hall)
August 30-31 - 4th Grade to Camp Tecumseh
September 25 - Jog-A-Thon
October 3rd (afternoon) & 4th (afternoon/evening) - Student Conferences/E-Day
Exploring the great outdoors through a nature walk.
Kindergarten students developed and displayed their classroom agreements.
First grade students learned about SeeSaw, an app where they can record their reading and other examples of learning.
Dear BME Parents,
Welcome back! We are excited for the upcoming school year and want your child to be as successful as possible at school. Success in school is not just about reading and math. It is also about knowing how to learn and how to get along with others. We are excited to be using the Second Step program in your child’s classroom to teach these critical skills!
The Second Step program teaches skills in the following four areas:
1. Skills for Learning: Students gain skills to help themselves learn, including how
to focus their attention, listen carefully, use self-talk to stay on task, and be
assertive when asking for help with schoolwork.
2. Empathy: Students learn to identify and understand their own and others’
feelings. Students also learn how to take another’s perspective and how to
3. Emotion Management: Students learn specific skills for calming down when
experiencing strong feelings, such as anxiety or anger.
4. Problem Solving: Students learn a process for solving problems with others in a
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to contact me for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Boone Meadow Elementary
317-873-2226 ext. 14992
Book Tasting - 3rd grade students in Mrs. Ritenour's class had a book tasting earlier in the week, and they were delicious.
Kindergarten practiced their partner reading with their friends.
This crew knows how to work together and celebrate their Life Goal success while having lunch with their teacher.
The School Directory App is Updated with current family information!
Our Student directory is now complete! Many thanks to the PTO for organizing this helpful resource! To access the directory follow these steps:
- Go to www.directoryspot.net or download the “Directory Spot” app on a smart phone.
- Enter your email address as your Username, and click on “Reset Password”. An email will be sent to you with a link to set your password.
- Click on the link in the email to set your password and to log in.
If you have trouble logging in, please contact PTO volunteer Eileen Adam at email@example.com.
Car Rider Map & Info
Texts from SchoolMessenger
From time to time Boone Meadow uses SchoolMessenger to send a text to all of the families. If you haven't been receiving texts from us, you may need to opt-in by sending YES to the SchoolMessenger short code of 68453. Contact Beth Kiel in the front office if you have any questions!
Calling all Girl Scouts!
Arrival/Dismissal Car Rider Procedures
Buses provide an excellent transportation option which results in efficiency for arrival and dismissal on our school campus. However, families always have the option to bring their children in cars, or they may walk or bike with their child to the building during fair weather days. We will have crossing guards available unless weather is inclement.
However, if you are planning to bring your child to school by car, please adhere to the following procedures. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- All car arrivals should enter the Boone Meadow campus via Eagle Church entrance/access road.
- When approaching BME lot at end of access road, Kindergarten-4th grade vehicles should form line in right lane. Signage will designate lanes.
- Preschool lane forms on the left.
- Wait for staff to motion you forward to begin drop off process.
- 1st-4th grade drop off begins at 7:50; Preschool drop off begins at 8:05; Kindergarten drop off begins at 8:50.
- All drop offs should occur at curb, unless a situation necessitates otherwise. Additional foot traffic at crosswalk delays arrival.
- Students must exit on curb side of vehicle.
- Please enter campus via Eagle Church access road as noted in arrival procedures above.
- Form lines (K-4th in right lane, and Preschool on left lane)
- Display name of student in front window (rear view mirror area) to assist with flow of students.
- Wait for staff to motion you forward.
Please note: We anticipate a large volume of personal vehicles during arrival and dismissal. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we fine-tune logistics during the first couple of weeks to ensure children are in their proper location.
School Lunch Prices for 2018-2019 School Year
Elementary school lunch prices for the 2018-2019 school year are $2.50. Secondary lunch prices are $2.70. Select premium high school meals are $3.00, and adult lunches are priced on an a la carte basis.
Volunteers and Visitor Background Checks
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VOLUNTEERS
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check.