Special Edition ....
Dear Deerfield Families,
We have entered unprecedented times. While this virus has created anxiety and uncertainty, I believe, if we unite as a whole community, we will get through this journey. together. Please know at Deerfield today, our entire school community worked to be the voice of calm for our students. I encourage all of you to do the same at home. Teachers found a good resource for you to use with your students, that explains the virus in a child-friendly manner. Feel free to use the following video link: https://www.brainpop.com/health/diseasesinjuriesandconditions/coronavirus/
Today, each of you should have received critical information from Dr. Matthews. The purpose of my communication will be to highlight details as they pertain to Deerfield Elementary.
- School will be closed from Monday, March 16th and school is scheduled to resume on Monday, April 13th. Spring break will remain the same.
- Spring Conferences are on hold. Teachers will reach out to parents, via email or phone, when we return from the closure.
- Report Cards will still be available to view via the portal starting on Saturday, March 28th.
- Students will be coming home today with personal belongings, books to read, and any other materials the teachers deemed necessary.
- Starting next week, the teachers will be providing learning opportunities through See Saw, I-Ready, and other measures. Exactly what will be provided is currently being designed by teams of teachers, staff, and the Office of Academics. I am confident your child will have opportunities to learn during this mandated break.
- On Monday, March 16th from 8:30 - 11:30, the building will be open for parents to collect items for those students who were absent on Friday. If you need to pick up your student's medication from the office, please do so at this time. This will be the only time to collect materials. After this time, the building will be closed until students return.
- The district is working on a plan to participate in any available programs in an effort to provide food to eligible families. Details will be coming early next week.
- If your child does not have access to technology at home, or you know of a neighbor that does not, please email me personally. We are working to provide access to all our Novi students.
- All athletics, extracurriculars, Community Education classes, and building events are canceled during this closure. This includes the Night at the Library.
- My weekly newsletter will be hold during the break and will resume once we return to school. Naturally, if something arises, I will communicate that out to all stakeholders. As a rule, look to Dr. Matthews for official district communication.
Today as I sat down to write the date, it dawned on me....
- Sunday, we sprung ahead
- Monday, was a full moon
- and today is Friday the 13th.... What a perfect storm!
Thank you in advance for your support and understanding as we navigate these waters. I will be accessible via email throughout the break. Do not hesitate to reach out.
Mrs. Julie Bedford EdS
Monday, March 16th School is closed
Saturday, March 28th Report Cards available to view
Monday, April 13th School Resumes