Holly Academy News & Views
November 15, 2019
Research shows that students learn more, have higher grades, and have better school attendance when parents are involved in their child's education. That's why attending parent/teacher conferences is so important! It's a great way for parents to become involved and stay involved throughout the school year. Attending conferences sends a positive message to your Husky that school is important. Parent/teacher conferences are on Monday, November 25th from 1:00pm-4:30pm and 5:30pm-8:00pm and Tuesday, November 26th from 1:00pm-4:30pm. We look forward to seeing you!
Power of the Pack!
Did You Know...
The following are some questions to ask at parent/teacher conferences:
- Does my child hand in homework on time and is it complete?
- How does my child get along with others?
- Is there a concern about learning or are there behavior problems that I should know about?
- What can I do at home and school to help my child build on strengths and improve weaknesses?
One of the many benefits at Holly Academy is the fact that we teach reading and writing separately. We are very fortunate to be able to do so, and because of this, our students perform extraordinarily well on assessments such as NWEA, M-Step, and PSAT. The MAISA Units of Study, the curriculum we utilize at Holly Academy, is designed to prepare students for career and college readiness. Many of our alumni return and let us know that because of the way reading and writing is taught at Holly Academy, they are extremely prepared for both high school and college.
In addition to writing essays, personal narratives, or opinion pieces, our students learn to put their writing skills to use in other ways. Holly Academy is participating in 100,000 Thank Yous again this year. Letters and thank you cards are sent to deployed US troops. If you would like to participate, please send in a thank you card, note, or letter to be included. All letters must be received in the office no later than Friday, November 22nd. Please contact Mrs. Potteiger with any questions.
Tacos & Trivia
Thank you to all of the parents, staff, and friends of Holly Academy who attended Holly Academy Education Foundation's "Tacos & Trivia" last Friday. It was a great event! The money raised, goes into the foundation, which in turn is used to provide grant opportunities to Holly Academy teachers. Thank you so much for your generosity! Follow the link below for photos from the evening!
Congratulations to team "Flannel Friday" for winning trivia!!
Drop off and dismissal
Just a friendly reminder! If you are utilizing the front lanes for drop off in the morning or dismissal after school, we ask that all adults remain in their vehicles for the safety of all concerned. If you need to get out of your vehicle please park in the west parking lot. Thank you! Safety matters!
Update from the Accounting Department (Mr. Kander)
Well, it’s getting colder outside (I hate cold weather), but the accounting workload is heating up (I love accounting work). Our accounting transparency page for 2019-2020 on the Holly Academy website is completed and has already been approved by the Michigan Department of Education. In past years, MDE has used our transparency page in their state-wide workshops to show as an example of the correct way to complete all the requirements.
Mrs. Cryderman has been helping me with many projects, and she is truly an asset in this department (an “asset” – I decided to use an accounting term!). Please stop by our office to welcome her to the Holly Academy staff – she has already been part of the Holly Academy family for many years! To everyone – stay safe on the roads, stay warm and comfortable, and my (early) best wishes to all of you for a wonderful Thanksgiving! It's great to be a Husky!
Mystery Number of the Week Winners
Each week students are shown a picture of a container of objects. They are then asked to estimate how many objects there are in the picture. They are given clues to help narrow down the possibilities. The students write their guesses on a slip of paper and are entered in a drawing each Friday. Last week's winners were:
Y5-2 Cambria Escamilla
3-5 Piper McDonald
6-8 Noah Vetter
We are proud of your math skills Cambria, Piper, and Noah! Dare to be remarkable!
- Nov. 18-25 - Vision screening for Y5, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grades
- Nov. 20 - 5th grade Mackinac fundraiser at Hungry Howies in Holly
- Nov. 22 - Dec. 10 - 5th grade Mackinac and 8th grade DC Pop Daddy fundraiser
- Nov. 25-26 - Half day of school, dismissal at 11:30am
- Nov. 25 - Parent-teacher conferences (uniform only)1:00-4:30pm & 5:30-8:00pm
- Nov. 26 - Parent-teacher conferences (uniform only)1:00-4:30pm
- Nov. 27 - Half day of school, (free dress down) dismissal at 11:30am
- Nov. 28 - Happy Thanksgiving
- Nov. 29 - No school
- Dec. 5 - Y5/K/1st grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 5 - PTO meeting at 8:00am in media center
- Dec. 6 - Adopt-a-Family dress down day, $1.00
- Dec. 9 - Board meeting, 5:30pm in media center
- Dec. 10 - 2nd/3rd grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 12 - 4th/5th grade concert, 1:00pm & 6:30pm
- Dec. 13 - Half day of school, dismissal at 11:30am
- Dec. 18 - 5th grade Mackinac fundraiser at Hungry Howies in Holly
SUBWAY LUNCH-December 2019
If your child is in need of any of these items, please feel free to stop by and grab what you need.
CAMP INVENTION IS COMING BACK TO HOLLY ACADEMY
When: June 22-26th, 2020
Time: 9am-3:30pm (before/aftercare is available)
Where: Holly Academy
For children entering grades K - 6
SAVE $25 expires 3/31/20. Promo code DSB25
SAVE $15 use between 4/1/20-5/12/20. Promo code DSB15
Secure your spot today hollyacademy.org/ci