Chia Seed Lab
Ashley and Ineta
How does what we cover a pot with chia seeds with affect how tall the chia seeds grow within a two week period?
The Research and Reasoning Behind Our Lab
- chia seeds are one of the easiest plants to grow which was nice for this experiment since we could see results fast
- When planted right chia seeds will grow roots on the 3rd or 4th day.
- It's proven that chia seeds grow the fastest when exposed to sun and have some type of covering over the plant to hold in the moisture and heat. We chose saran wrap because it was convenient and clear so we could see through it. We also found saran wrap to be the most convenient because it would not break when dropped and it was easy to remove
- Even if they aren't covered, they still grow but not as fast
- Other scientists also have covered Chia seeds with plastic cups or glass bowls and still gotten good results
Hypothesis and Variables
Hypothesis: Based on our research if we cover a pot with saran wrap, then the chia seeds that are covered with saran wrap will grow taller in a 2 week period because the material will hold moisture and heat in.
Independent variable: what we cover the pot with
Dependent variable: how tall the plant gets in a 2 week period, we identified it by measuring with a ruler in cm
Controlled variables: how much water and soil we put in the pot, how big the pot is, the amount of seeds in the pot
Extraneous variables: how much sunlight the plant gets based on the amount of sunlight outside, the temperature of the room itself
How we set up lab and what we took data in
12 Chia seeds
1 cup of soil
put a piece of tape on each flower pot where it can easily be seen and write A and B with 1 letter on each flower pot
Get pot A and place it on a flat surface then put 1 cup of soil in the pot
dig 3 small holes with the circumference of about your pinky finger
Place 2 chia seeds into each hole
Cover the holes back in with the dirt in the flower pot
Add 5 tablespoons of water to the cup
Repeat steps 1-6 for pot B
Once that is complete put a piece of saran wrap completely over the top of flower pot A. Make sure there is no open space.
Leave cup B with nothing over the top of it
Carefully pick up both cups and place them in a sunlit area where they can all get an even amount of sunlight
everyday add 1 tablespoon of water to the soil and measure in cm the amount each plant has grown above the soil and record. (take meausrement of the tallest plant)
Also make qualitative observations about cups A and B
LiNK TO DATA TABLES: