Coaching Conversation Starters
Know Your Audience
Exploring together ~ not monitoring.
Sharing resources ~ not observing lessons.
Assess the practice and results ~ not a teachers' competence.
Give and Take
Forward-Looking (improvement oriented)
Invest in Teacher Success
Target Specific Areas
Data ~ given to teacher
Focus on ~ What I saw NOT What I didn't see.
Who are the teachers?
Highlight types of teachers and scenarios.
We must take on multiple roles when meeting and talking with our teachers.
Read about your teacher, and imagine you are about to have your first conversation with this teacher. Create a bulleted list of "rules" and "questions/statements" (on your white paper) you believe are necessary and positive as you begin your first encounter with this teacher. Remember ~ you are here to support and work together ~ not observe or criticize.
1. How can I be of help to you?
2. What specifically do you wish me to look for?
3. What specifically do you wish me to know?
4. Is there a particular student you would like for me to watch?
5. What are the expectations for today's lesson?
6. How long should I stay (observe)?
7. When can we meet after the lesson?