By: Ali Lewis
Where was the Schoolhouse?
The inside and out of a school house
What was inside the school?
- Oak desks that were one or two seaters
- The smaller desks were in the front for the younger students, and they gradually got bigger toward the back for older and bigger students
- Teacher's desk was in the front
- A citation bench sat next to the teacher's desk
- Pictures of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, a blackboard with the alphabet above it, aUnited States flag and a clock were all at the front of the room
- Slates and slate pencils were used to write on
- Pot-bellied stove
How many kids went to the One-Room Schoolhouse?
Drawbacks of the school
- No tests
- Bad libraries
- Teacher was the "custodian"
- No one maintained the school in the summer
- Teacher's had no training
Would you like the attend this school?
Country School: One Room, One Nation. Dir. Kelly Rundle. Perf. Kelly Rundle. Passion River, 0. DVD.
"Histories/Records - One-Room Schoolhouse Center." One-Room Schoolhouse Center - Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://oneroomschoolhousecenter.weebly.com/historiesrecords.html>.
"One Room Schools - The Teachers." Clarke Historical Library. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://clarke.cmich.edu/resource_tab/information_and_exhibits/one_room_schools/the_teachers.html>.
"One-room Schoolhouse: General Information - NIU - Blackwell Museum." Home Page - NIU - College of Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2012. <http://www.cedu.niu.edu/blackwell/oneroom/generalInfo.shtml>.