Pirate Weekly News
November 16-20, 2015
Thanks to all of the parents who came out to Open House last Thursday, I hope it was informational and enjoyable. The students love to see parents at school checking out what is going on in their classes.
Aquarium trip tomorrow. Don't forget that students will need bag lunches for the trip. The buses should be leaving at 9:00 and we should be back at school before 2:00.
Don't forget, PE is on now Mondays and we have an extra PE class on Tuesdays (first semester only) try to remember to send your child to school with sneakers on those days.
India Hook E-News subscription
Fourth Grade Parent Friendly Standards
What we are learning this week
Division, division patterns, and division with remainders continued
Test on Friday (Nov. 20)
Plants (flowering and non-flowering) and classification of animals
13 original colonies (New England, Middle and Southern Colonies)
create a Prezi to illustrate life in the colonies
Test on Friday Nov. 20
Reading: Guided Reading Groups, Shared reading: Wonder, Point of View, non-fiction text features, Fountas and Pinnel Assessments begin
Writing: Informational Writing (research report), cursive handwriting,
Language Usage: subjects/predicates
Flu Shot Campaign
As you are aware, we have several children at India Hook School who have compromised immune systems due to illness or treatments. I would love to show how much our pirate community cares by having 100 % of our staff and students get their flu shots by November 24. If your students would like to make posters, that would be great! I will reward the class with the highest percentage of students AND teacher receiving flu shots with a pizza party.
Nov. 16 Field trip to Aquarium
Nov. 19 Thanksgiving Lunch (grades K-2)
Nov. 25-27 Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 17 Christmas Lunch (grades 3-5)
Instructions for setting up a Canvas parent observer account
Setting up a Parent Account in Canvas:
For a video version of this tutorial, see:
1. Navigate to http://rockhill.instructure.com.
2. Click the banner at the top that says “Parent of a Canvas User? Click here for an Account.”
3. Enter your name, your email address (this will be your login Username), and your Child’s Canvas Username and Password.
Your Child’s Username: __________________ Password: ___________________
4. At this point, you now have an account—but we must do a few things to set it up. First of all, we need to confirm your account. You will need to check your email that you entered in Step 3. You should have received an email from Canvas. Open that email and click on a link from Canvas that will let you finish the registration process.
For more information about the Canvas Parent Account (after you set up the
account), visit http://j.mp/observerguide
5. Once you click on that link, set your password to something you will remember and then click register.
6. Your Canvas account is now set up. If you have additional students in Rock Hill Schools, add them by doing the following (skip to Step 9 if not applicable). Click on the top of the Canvas homepage on Settings.
7. Click on Observing on the left.
8. Enter each students’ username and password.
9. You are all set up for your Canvas parent account! Keep these few things in mind:
3-12 teachers will be reporting grades in Canvas and final quarter grades will be transferred to PowerSchool. Reporting of grades will remain the same for K-2.
You can access all of your children’s courses via the courses button at the top. If a course is missing, this is likely due to the teacher not publishing their course yet.
You can access your child’s course calendar using the calendar button.
You can observe your child’s work and interactions in this account. This
account does not allow you to participate in your child’s class.