By: Perri C. Jared M. Spencer W.
Agriculture's Impact on Iowa
10 fun facts about Iowa Soil
- Iowa Has 11,000 different types of soil
- Iowa's Soil is Nicknamed "Black gold"
- Iowa's Soil is so Rich it took 3,200 years to make
- There is only 8.6 of the 16 inches of the original topsoil left
- Iowa is the Number one producer of Corn in the country
- Iowas has 32 million acres of farm devoted to farmland
- Iowas soil is devoted to cropland with 26 million acres of the 32 million
- 92% of Iowa's land is devoted to Ag
- Iowa's soil is extremely saturated With average rainfall at 30.1 inches per year
- Iowa's 5 most important Ag products include corn, beans, cattle, hogs, and dairy products all of these are affected by Iowas soil
Cows and Pigs have a big impact on Iowa. They are found on almost every farm. The most common found cow on a Iowa farm is the Black and White Holstein. If we didn't have cows and pigs on our Iowa farms we would have hardly any meat. In 2011 the United States produced 34.1 Million cows alone! There was 921.4 million tons of beef and variety meats produced in the United States in 2011. In order to have good meat in the U.S we need to have cows and pigs.
10 Facts about Cows and Pigs
- Dairy cows produce about fifty four pounds of milk a day, which is ninety percent of the world’s milk supply!
- Cows are only two years old when they have their first calf!
- Once the females (gilts) and males (boars) reach five months of age they are selected to breed.
- Total Cattle Inventory in Iowa was 3,900,000
- State Rank All Cattle & Calve was sixth
- Yearly Marketing’s 2,043,000
- Number of Feedlots 7,845
- Number of Farms with Beef Cows 21,000
- Number of Beef Cows 895,000
- Cash Receipts from Cattle & Calves $2.470 Billion
10 Facts About Economy
- Farmers earn about 10 billion dollars for their soybean and corn crop
- Iowa raised more than 2.4 billion bushels of corn in 2009, or 18 percent of the total U.S. corn crop of 13.2 billion bushels.
Iowa’s total agricultural exports for fiscal year 2009 were valued at more than $6.4 billion, ranking Iowa second in the nation in agricultural exports.
Iowa’s total cash receipts for farm commodities in 2009 totaled more than $21 billion – the second highest in the United States.
Jobs associated with meat production and meat processing make up over 30 percent of the Ag-related workforce in 30 Iowa counties
Production agriculture and Ag-related industries directly and indirectly employ one of every six Iowans
livestock and poultry alone generates 43,324 jobs in Iowa
Agriculture adds 72.1 billion dollars to the states economy.
Cash Receipts from Cattle & Calves is 2.45 billion dollars
The value of crop production has risen from $83 billion
- Yes -48%
- No -31%
- I Don't now, but I have before 21%
How often do you visit a farm?
- Daily - 42%
- Weekly - 19%
- Monthly - 27%
- Never - 12%
What kind of farm?
- Cattle and other livestock 35%
- Crops 29%
- Both 36%
Do you have a relative who works in a job of agriculture
- Yes -66%
- No -32%
- Has before 2%
How does agriculture in Iowa affect you? 3-5 sentences
Do you plan on having a career in agriculture?
- Yes - 35%
- No - 20%
- Still thinking about it 45%