Creative Cooking Italian Recipe
Matt’s Italian Chicken Salad Recipe
This is an Italian Chicken Salad recipe that I made in Creative Cooking class in March 2013. I picked this recipe because I like Chicken Cesar Salad and I wanted to pick an Italian Salad that I would enjoy. The following pictures are to show what each of the steps should look like.
This makes 4 main-course servings.
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubes Italian bread (from a 1/2-lb crusty round loaf)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken (1/2 lb; from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella balls; 6 oz)
- 2 hearts of romaine (3/4 lb total), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 (8-oz) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
Gather all the Ingredients
Step 1 For Croutons
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
Step 2 For Croutons
Toss bread cubes with oil and salt in large shallow baking pan and spread in 1 layer.
Step 3 For Croutons
Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack.
Done Making The Croutons
Step 1 For Vinaigrette And Begin Preparing Salad While Croutons Bake
Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients except oil in small bowl until combined.
Step 2 For Vinaigrette And Begin Preparing Salad While Croutons Bake
Add oil in slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
Step 3 For Vinaigrette And Begin Preparing Salad While Croutons Bake
Toss chicken and bocconcini together with 1/4 cup vinaigrette in a bowl and let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
Done For Vinaigrette And Preparing Salad
Make the Salad
Toss together romaine, red peppers, olives, chicken and bocconcini mixture, croutons, and remaining vinaigrette in a large bowl until combined.
Done Making the Salad
I believe I did a good job making this salad. The only thing that I did wrong was that I added all the vinaigrette at once instead of the 1/4 cup.