August Parent Newsletter
MJH 2020-2021 Theme: #TogetherWeWill
A Note from Mrs. Chapman
The first day of school is right around the corner and our teachers and staff are ready to meet our exceptional Bears! Our campus theme this year will be #TogetherWeWill. We know these past few months have been challenging for many. Here at MJH, we’re confronting the difficulties before us with determination, excellence, and a lot of hard work. We believe that as a school family, we will get through this unique time together and be stronger because of it. At this time, we are developing plans to keep our students and staff safe and healthy. We will begin school remotely and will be back on campus Sept 8. At that time, we are asking that all Bears do their part by wearing a face coverings, washing hands frequently, practicing social distancing, and monitoring your health. A safe and healthy campus will always be our top priority, and we believe together we can do this, and together we will!
In addition, due to the local and state safety and health requirements, methods of learning, activities, programs, and campus procedures might look a little different this year. So, I would like to take this time to go over a few reminders and implemented changes for the beginning of the school year:
STARTING REMOTE LEARNING AND DATES WE COME BACK TO SCHOOL:
We will begin the school year remotely from August 13 to August 28 for 6th graders and from August 13 - Sept 4 for 7th and 8th graders. This means our 6th graders will be coming back to campus one week earlier, Monday, August 31. Then our 7th and 8th grade will come back the following week. This will give our 6th graders who are new to our campus time to get acclimated and adjust before we bring our 7th and 8th graders back.
As we begin the new school year remotely on August 13, your student should go to his/her teachers' webpages to find their teachers instructions for that class. They will find their teachers' names on their schedule. Each day they will check in with each teacher on their Google for attendance purposes and complete the assignments given.
Once the students are back to school, parents will still have the option to choose between remote learning and traditional in-person learning. The district will be sending out another survey in two weeks, before the Sept. 8 in person start date. This will allow us to find out your method of learning choice so we can make sure we are prepared and ready for your child.
CURBSIDE SCHEDULE PICK-UP:
We will have 2 schedule pick up dates/times for your convenience on August 6 (1-4 p.m.) and August 7 (9a.m.-12 p.m.). You can come to the campus any of those days to pick up your child's schedule. We will also be delivering last year's yearbook, last year's spring pictures, and requested student laptops all 2 days. Make sure to enter the car rider line and follow it to the front of the school. Please do not park. You will stay in your vehicle and receive everything via curbside.
- IMPORTANT: The student schedule will have your child's ClassLink one time user name and password and their cafeteria lunch barcode for scanning purposes if your student plans to eat lunch/breakfast at school once back on campus. Please have your child take a picture of the barcode on their phone and save it.
GOOGLE CLASSROOM INFORMATION FOR REMOTE LEARNING:
Below is a video link showing what the new Classlink password management system will look like. Your student will find their password/username to Classlink on their student schedule.
Once your student has logged in to Classlink, they will need to open their email in Office 365 Outlook. After August 11, each teacher will have sent them an email inviting them into their specific Google Classrooms. They will need to accept the invitation from each teacher in order to be added into that class. If they don't receive an email, please have them check their teachers' websites on the MJHS website for the correct Google Classroom class code.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ycUrYrlv1g
CAR RIDER LINE: Once we are back in school, all traffic coming to MJH during the morning drop-off period and the afternoon pick-up period must use the car rider loop. On the first week of school, the pickup line is long. Safety is our first priority, so we will have a campus officer directing traffic after school during car rider pickup and the first week of after school athletic practices. Please understand the athletic groups are staggered in dismissal time; however, we cannot control when parents arrive at school to pick up their child. If our officer is on duty at the main entrance and our staff personnel is on duty at the staff entrance, please do not try to drive thru. When we have vehicles cutting through the parking lot to bypass the car rider line, it causes congestion and an unsafe area for our staff and students who are trying to enter or exit the building. It is also not fair for those that are following our car rider protocol. We appreciate your help with our transportation drop-off and pick-up procedures.
AFTER SCHOOL CAR RIDER PICKUP LINE: For those new to our car rider line, we ask that you stop at the sign posted stop sign before you pull up to the car rider line. Right before the dismissal bell at 2:30 p.m., cars will then pull up to the car rider line loading zone. We ask this so our early dismissal students and parents are able to be picked up and are not held up by the dismissal traffic of our car rider parents.
CAMPUS WEBSITE: Please be sure to visit our campus website regularly for updated information at www.misd.org - schools - Montgomery Junior HIgh
A Note from our Counselors
Before the start of the school year, the only schedule change requests that will be considered are if your student’s schedule displays one of the following issues:
- an incorrect number of class periods
- a duplicate course listed
- an exact course scheduled that was previously taken and passed
For schedule change requests, please email your students counselor below: The counseling office does not have the authorization to change assigned teachers.
Counselor email for students with last names A-K: Barbara.Gagliano@misd.org
Counselor email for students with last names L-Z: Tressie.Stewart@misd.org
A Note from the Librarian:
RETURNING LIBRARY BOOKS: If your student has a library book from last school year that has not been turned in, please drop library books off in the cart labeled "library books" on the schedule pickup dates.
MJH Library Guidelines for Distance Learning 2020-21
- Curbside pickup will be offered daily during distance learning. Students should email or call Ms. Smith to request a book (contact info below). Students can also place holds through our Destiny circulation program.
- Students will be able to check out up to 5 books at a time to reduce the need for frequent visits to the library.
- No overdue fines will be assessed.
- Books may be returned to the tub outside the library doors during school operating hours only. (Students will not be allowed to enter the building.) Please do not return books outside of school operating hours. Books can also be returned when students are allowed back on campus.
- Returned books will be quarantined for 72 hours before being returned to circulation.
- Digital book options are available. Please see the library website for the process to check out ebooks/audiobooks. Students are also encouraged to take advantage of the digital services of the Montgomery County Memorial Library System.
· Librarian: Shelley Smith
· Office #: 936-276-3367
A Note from our Nurse
7TH grade parents: A reminder that if we have not received a valid copy of your child’s required immunizations listed below, please submit a copy to our nurse this week so we can update our records.
1. Tdap (within 5 years of 7th grade enrollment date) (Dtap, dtp, tdap or DT, Td is acceptable if a medical contraindication to pertussis exists)
2. Meningococcal (on or after the student’s 11th birthday) (MCV4)
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Buckner if you have any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-276-3309.
CLINIC OPERATIONS DURING REMOTE:
Please make sure to notify the nurse when your student is sick so she can make our attendance clerk aware. You will also find postings on the nurse website of up to date COVID-19 related health information. She will be on campus ready to answer any questions you may have by phone or email.
CLINIC OPERATIONS ONCE BACK AT SCHOOL:
- Physical distancing in clinic will be implemented.
- Any student sent to the clinic will have their temperature taken.
- Well students will remain in class as much as possible to minimize loss of instruction and unnecessary exposure to illness.
- Any student with temperature equal to or greater than 100 F will be isolated and parent will be notified to pick up student.
- Any medications used to treat symptoms consistent with COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, headache, sore throat, and body aches will not be administered without a current healthcare provider's note.
- If a student on campus is confirmed lab positive Covid-19, all staff and parents in the school will be notified. In addition, parents of students that were in close contact with the confirmed positive student will be individually notified and the administration will provide campus procedures and guidance.
Montgomery Moving Forward 2020
Fall Sports Information - starting Sept. 8
JR HIGH SPORTS WILL BEGIN SEPT. 8
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Volleyball: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sept 4 - Football pickup for 7th and 8th graders from 4:00-7:00 p.m. at MJH. (subject to change)
Athletic practices, games and contests will follow safety protocol guidance provided by MISD, UIL, TEA and Montgomery County Health officials. This will include COVID screening, group sizes, sharing and sanitizing equipment, weight rooms, gyms, locker rooms, etc.
Based upon guidelines from TEA and UIL spectator attendance at games may be limited for social distancing and practices will not begin until Sept. 8.
MJH Parent/Student Handbook
The Parent-Student Handbook will be available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Forms such as Release of Picture/Directory Information, Medication for the Nurse, Change of Address/Phone Number, and Technology Agreement are found at the back of the Handbook.
Please make sure your student is in dress code before they leave home each day. No leggings/jeggings worn without top past mid-thigh, no jeans with holes above the knees, no shirts that show the midriff, no large earphones at school – only earbuds. Thank you for your help. Dress code will be enforced. Please review the dress code policy in the Student Handbook.
At this time and until further notice, MISD campuses are closed to lunch visitors. In addition, students are not allowed to have lunch delivered to the campus. Deliveries to students including lunches will be limited and on an emergency basis only. Students forgetting lunches will be allowed to charge a meal in the cafeteria.
Most textbooks will either be available online or issued for at-home use. Books that are issued for at-home use will not have to be carried to and from school. Students can check out a textbook for home through the AP office. Backpacks are optional. No rolling backpacks unless under doctor orders.
We ask that you make every effort to request transportation changes prior to 1:30 p.m. in order for us to be certain that your student leaves in the correct manner. You may make changes by:
1. Sending a note with your child;
2. Faxing with a photo of your I.D. to 936-276-3301. Please include your student’s first & last name on any change. Emails or texts to teachers, phone calls to the front desk, and student-relayed messages are not requests that we honor for safety reasons.
· MJH CAR RIDER LINE/BUS POLICY
Due to the continued growth of MISD, we will no longer allow extra riders to ride the bus routes. Only registered riders will be allowed on the bus routes. We highly encourage students to car-pool to school due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking during the morning hours.
Washington D.C./Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders!
Join Our MJH PTO
The membership form is online on our campus website. Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page.
Montgomery PTO Spirit Wear - Presale and Pick-up Dates
Presale will begin: August 10th thru August 24th
Distribution to the students who are on campus: September 11th
Curbside pickup for remote students: September 12th from 11am - 1pm.
MISD Help Hotline
If students need to report any concerns such as bullying, threats, weapons, suicidal thoughts, drugs/alcohol, etc. The number is 936-262-0001. We ask that you visit with your student about reporting any concerns or threats immediately so we can help make sure we address this promptly. This can be anonymous as well.
MISD has an easy online way for you to keep your child’s account. Go to the MISD webpage and click on the left tab “Child Nutrition Info”. Then click “MySchoolBucks.com.”
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
Once we are back on campus, one of the many strengths of MJH is the large number of students involved in co-curricular activities. Students who become involved in the school broaden their experiences and increase their enjoyment of junior high school. Whether it is athletics, theatre, music, student council or the many clubs we offer, we encourage your student to participate in one or more student activities.
You can find more information on our co-curricular activities on our campus website under the extra-curricular/clubs tab.
Montgomery Junior High School
Home of the Bears: #TogetherWeWill
To see all the great things happening at MJH
Follow us on Twitter @mjhsbears and Instagram (mjhsbears)
Follow our PTO on Facebook @ PTO Montgomery Junior High