Diabetes type 1
Diabetes type 1 requires treatment to keep blood sugar levels within a target ranges. Treatment includes:
- Taking several insulin injections every day or using an insulin pumps.
- Monitoring blood sugar levels levels several times a day.
- Eating a healthy diet that spreads carbohydrate throughout the day.
- Exercise helps the body to use insulin more efficiently. It may also lower your risk for heart and blood vessel disease.
- Regular medical checkups. You will get routine screening tests and exams to watch for signs of complications, such as eye, kidney, heart, blood vessel, and nerve diseases.
- Not smoking.
- Not drinking alcohol if you are at risk for periods of low blood sugar
Blood sugars are easier to predict and control when mealtimes, amounts of food, and exercise are similar every day. So getting into a daily routine helps a lot.