The Weekly Update
from SD State Library School Library Services
November 22, 2021
Thinking about getting extensions?
Google Chrome extensions are software programs that you install (with the click of a button) into your Chrome browser. They customize your web-browsing and web-working experience by adding/modifying the existing behavior of a program to make it more convenient for you!
SCOTTIE'S FAVE FIVE!
- Bitmoji Extension: This is a must if you create virtual displays or have a virtual library! It allows you easily grab your Bitmoji and pull it into your document.
- Screencastify Extension: This is an excellent tool for creating short tutorials for your students and staff! It allows you to create, edit, and share videos in seconds.
- Wakelet Extension: If you have a Wakelet account, you'll want the Wakelet extension! It allows you to save content to your Wakelet collections with 2 clicks.
- Print Friendly & PDF Extension: Do you hate trying to print awesome content from a website and you get all the ads, pictures, and junk that comes along with it? This extension takes away all the junk before you print and gives you a nice clean copy of the content!
- OneTab Extension: Show of hands...how many of you currently have more tabs open than you'd like to admit? Yep, that's what I thought! There's no shame in that game; however, having a lot of tabs open takes up a lot of memory. The OneTab extension saves memory and reduces browser clutter, which may also reduce brain clutter!
For links to these five extensions (and more!), check out my Wakelet collection:
The School Library Scoop with Scottie
Episode 10: Best Google Chrome Extensions for Librarians
I hope you're enjoying this new platform for short tutorials on school library services, technology tips and trends, and so much more. If you have suggestions or requests for future topics, please click the "Topic Suggestions" button below. Past episodes can be viewed on SDSL's YouTube Channel.
Staying Connected & Relevant in a Digital World
1 Slideshow from AASL 2021
2 Mindful Minutes
3 Great Wakelet Collections
Save the Date for ExCITE!
ExCITE! (formerly School Library Boot Camp) is an annual professional development opportunity for South Dakota librarians and educators. The SD State Library partners with Black Hills State University to offer ExCITE! for undergraduate or graduate credit. This two credit course can be applied to the Library Methods requirement of the BHSU School Library Media minor and the SD DOE Library Media endorsement. It can also be used for teacher renewal.
LSTA federal funding through the Institute of Museum and Library Services provides speakers, resources, and full-tuition scholarships for attendees.
Each year brings a new theme, new personal connections, and new learning. Join us during the month of July where we will explore Information Literacy in a fully on-line course. Registration will open in Spring 2022.
NEW SD School Library Facebook Group!
..from SDSL School Library Services
The Weekly Update is a correspondence from the South Dakota State Library focusing on current topics in school libraries, best practices, resources, professional development, and more.