May 2, 2016
STAAR Testing Next Week
Next week our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders will take portions of the STAAR test. During this time, we must maintain a secure testing environment. As part of this security, Cypress will be closed to all visitors (this includes parents and special guests coming for lunch, campus volunteers, etc.) on testing days. Please see the specific dates of closures for STAAR testing this week below.
Monday, May 9th: 3rd and 4th Grade Math, 5th Grade Math Re-Test
Tuesday, May 10th: 3rd and 4th Grade Reading, 5th Grade Reading Re-Test
Wednesday, May 11th: 5th Grade Science, 3rd and 4th Grade Make Ups
Thursday, May 12th: 3rd - 5th Grade Make Ups
WatchDOG Chair and Co-Chair Needed!!
Dear Cypress Volunteers;
Some of you may remember that I was Co-Chair of our WatchDOG program for 2 years, along with three awesome Cypress Dads and Staci Cordell. I am writing today with that experience in mind.
Watch the Dads roam the halls at Cypress and you can see how much this program means to the kids. And it’s not just their own Dad’s participation they love, but ALL the WatchDOGS are ROCKSTARS! I would hate to see this program suffer because the students would miss it.
Our PTA Nominating Committee has been hard at work to fill the open board positions for next school year. Those of you who attended last week’s meeting could see how many volunteers have already agreed to serve. However, we do not have a Head Watchdog or Co-Chair as of this email. As much as I would love to Chair this again, myself, I’m already committed to other PTA positions.
We are looking for two parents (or more!) to come together and run this program next year. If you can find your volunteer spirit, I promise, you won’t regret it. The program is worthy of your time.
Head WatchDOG duties in a nutshell:
- Familiarize yourself with the program and be able to assist and answer questions
- Speak at the WatchDOG Kickoff Dinner with the purpose of inspiring other dads to sign up
- Help coordinate Winter Wonderland WatchDOG participation (usually the inflatables)
- Hold the Donuts for Dads (morning) in the spring to talk to prospective WatchDOGS
- Be the voice of WatchDOG at Cypress
Co-Chair duties in a nutshell:
- Co-Coordinate (with Staci Cordell) the WatchDOG Kickoff Dinner
- Speak about how to become approved volunteers at the WatchDOG Kickoff Dinner
- Attend PTA Board meetings (once per month on a Wednesday at 1:45 until dismissal)
- Build the online schedule for dads to sign up
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to ensure all are approved volunteers and communicate with the WatchDOGS about the process
- Order WatchDOG official supplies and t-shirts ~ Collect money, order t-shirts, deliver t-shirts via students
- Work hand in hand with Staci Cordell to ensure the program is successful
Please consider one of these key PTA positions! Feel free to find a friend to share the responsibilities with!
Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns…
Let’s build a strong school together!
Cypress Parent and Volunteer