The Great Depression
1. What is "Black Tuesday" and why does it mark the beginning of the Great Derpression?
Black Tuesday was when panicked sellers traded nearly 16 million shares of New York Stock Exchange. This was in October 29, 1929.
2. Many people believe that WWII marked the end of the Great Depression. How did the war affect the economy?
Many people starved and missed their loved ones. They had no money and couldn't afford food for their families.
3. What president was inaugurated in 1933? What were some of the changes made by this administration?
The president was Frnklin D Roosevelt. He enacted 7 measures or laws to help end the depression.
4. What was the New Deal? How did the New Deal affect American citizens?
Franklin D Roosevelt became the president of the United States in 1933. His presidency was known as the "New deal" because of the promises that he made to the Americans. This helped millions of Americans. They received food and clothing. They also planted 13 million trees in Florida and created many wildlife and parks.
5. What was the dust bowl?
The dust bowl was a period in time of severe dust storms that greatly damaged the ecology and agriculture of the US and Canadian prairies during the 1930's
6. How did the dust blow affect the southern plains?
The southern plains were full of drought. The agriculture devastation helped to lengthen the depression whose effects were felt worldwide.
7. What affect did the Dust Bowl have on agriculture? How would this affect farmers and their employers?
The Dust Bowl destroyed top soil and all the good dirt blew away. It destroyed farmers and all their employers because they couldn't grow crops.
8. Given what you learned about the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, make a prediction about what you think the setting of To Kill A Mockingbird will look like. What will the houses look like? What will the characters be wearing? How will the characters act towards each other? How will Scout's classmates act toward Scout knowing that her father is a lawyer?
The house will be run down and not in the best shape. The characters will be wearing normal clothes but they might be a little small because they will be old and they can't buy new clothes. The characters might be a little uptight with each other. They will be mad at her because she has more money than them.