The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
December 14 - 18, 2015
Quote of the Week...
"A hundred years from now it will not matter what your bank account was, the sort of house you lived in , or the kind of car you drove. But the world may be different because you were important in the life of a child.~ Anonymous
Redford the Red Bird Recipient - Nick Wall
"I nominate Nick Wall. Nick is a natural. I admire how he shares his strong passion for knowledge with children in such a dignified, respectful way. He knows how to nurture and help his students' minds grow. Nick is a great listener. He consistently offers effective ways to help not only his students but me as well in difficult situations."- Liz Rutkowski
Good News Gets Around!
- To Mrs. Waters - Mrs. Waters is a wonderful addition to our classroom. Her gentle manner and smart eyes have been a valuable addition to our classroom community. Thank you for all your hard work! ~ Mrs. Freeland
- To Jenny Kalka - Thank you to Jenny Kalka for being more than willing to attend the Kristi's Christmas holiday event last Saturday! Her participation really helped in the coordination of the event and responsibility of overseeing our students. Six students attended, 3 were from Cardinal Forest. Students experienced a fun, positive, and festive party generously catered to them for the holidays! Hope to do it together again! ~ Joanna Rydalch
- To Samantha Sardella - Thank you Sam for welcoming me to the 5th grade team. Thank you also for your dedication to your students and team! We can accomplish so much together! ~ Jane Conboy
- To Charlotte Hart - Thank you Charlotte for your commitment to our team and to our students. Thank you also for welcoming me to the 5th grade team! Together we can accomplish so much. ~ Jane Conboy
- To Mrs. Maahs - Thank you for going the extra mile to plan enrichment lesson that are engaging and meaningful to the students. ~ Mrs. Freeland
Great Things are Happening at Cardinal Forest!
Doug Kammerer visited our 2nd and 4th grade students on Friday and gave them hope for a very snowy February!
WSHS/6th Grade Collaboration
During Cardinal TIme, our 6th grade students have worked with students from the West Springfield HS Honor Society to strengthen their understanding of various math concepts!
Ms. McGraw's 2nd grade students practiced their reading strategies while they read to a buddy!
WSHS/6th Grade Collaboration
Let There Be Light!
It's Spirit Week!!
During the week before the Winter Break, we will celebrate Spirit Week! The themes for each day are as follows:
- Monday - Crazy Hat & Hair Day
- Tuesday - Twin Day
- Wednesday - Red Carpet Day- Dress like a Star
- Thursday - Cardinal Colors Day (Wear Red)
- Friday - Pajama Day - Remind your students to wear pajamas that cover their bodies completely.
Zones of Regulation Training on December 17th @ 8:00
A new program is available for our staff to use to assist students with learning self regulation and emotional control. The program is called Zones of Regulation. Students learn how to use a variety of calming strategies, cognitive strategies and sensory supports so they will have a toolbox of methods to use to help them learn self regulation. All teachers are welcome to attend!
The training will be presented by our own Barbara Schanmier-Mistrot, CFES Occupational Therapist on December 17th at 8:00 at Cardinal Forest. Please sign up through MyPLT. #154-1516-ZR. We hope to see you there!
More information about the program can be found here
Early Pay Day in December
This is a reminder that monthly employees are paid on the last business day of each month with the only exception being December when they are paid prior to the winter break. Pay day in December for monthly employees will be December 18th. Refer to Notice 5620, Pay Schedules 2015-16, for a list of pay dates. If you have any questions, contact Payroll Management at 571-423-3500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Special Thank You to...
- Jessica Michaels for coordinating Doug Kammerer's visit to our school. The students enjoyed being able to learning about the weather from a local meteorologist!
- Joe Maniscalco and Nick Wall agreeing to teach the 5th grade FLE lessons!
- Katie Burns for supporting Ms. Issa, Chris Fisher and the 6th grade students during their online collaborations with the West Springfield High School Honor Society.
- Team Leaders Meeting (8:00 - 8:45)
- Interims Go Home
- Strings Holiday Concert in the lobby (8:55 - 9:10)
- Band Concert in the gym for grades PreK - 2 (10:00 - 10:30)
- Holiday Potluck (11:00 - 1:30)
- SCA meeting - All Reps & Officers (1:05 - 1:35)
- Celebration of Joy Sing-a-long (9:30 - 10:30) / Classes will be called to the gym starting at 9:15
- 2 Hour Early Closing @ 1:55
- SCA Meeting - Officers only (1:05 - 1:35)