Year 1 Newsletter
Welcome to Year 1
The autumn term is always a busy time with lots to look forward to. The change from Foundation to Year 1 is always a daunting thought but your child will settle quickly.
Year 1 has three classes - Pandas, Leopards and Tigers. The teachers are Miss Barnes, Mrs Zastron and Ms Fleming. Each class is supported by a teaching assistant and so you will also meet Mrs Tyler, Mrs Fairey, Mrs Funnel and Mr Ainscow. We are more than happy to answer any questions so please do not hesitate to talk to one of us.
Our new topic
Over the Autumn term children will write poetry, stories, labels, lists, instructions and posters. These will be taught through the key texts of Little Red Hen and The Way Home by Jill Murphy. A big focus will also be on improving sentences focusing on punctuation and them making sense. Children will also have daily phonics sessions and handwriting and a weekly visit to the school's library.
We will be finding more and less of a number, comparing numbers and ordering numbers. We will also be solving number sentences including missing numbers. We will also learn to recall number bonds at a speedy pace.
Throughout the topic we will look at the school and local environment. This will included learning about the landscape, the plants and trees and producing a route of a journey. In Computing we will learn to insert text and images and explore other key functions such as font size and colour to produce greetings cards.
Dates for your diary
Thursday 15th September - School Photos
Wednesday 21st September - Year 1 introduction meeting for parents (9am)
Week beginning 3rd October - Sports week (more information will follow)
Friday 14th October - Heronshaw visit to Kents Hill Church for Harvest celebration
Week beginning 17th October - 'Parents Week' (more information will follow)
Friday 21st October - last day of the half term Year 1 Harvest assembly for parents (more information will follow)
How can you help?
Visit a local library and find books about your child's hobbies and things that interest them. Can you find a story book and an information book?
Practice the spellings sent home.
Here are some links to useful sites where your child can learn from home.
- Buried Treasure - choose phase 2 or 3 http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/BuriedTreasure2.html
- Dinosaur Eggs - find the correct word. http://www.ictgames.com/dinosaursEggs/index.html
- Save the whale by finding the correct number bonds http://www.ictgames.com/save_the_whale_v4.html
- Solve the number sentencs using the number line http://www.ictgames.com/mummyNumberLine/mummyNumberLine.htmllink2
- Find out about the human body http://www.ictgames.com/bodyrunner.html
- Learn about Braille. Can you write your own message? http://www.ictgames.com/topic/brailleBuilder/index.html