Third Grade Weekly Update
March 19-March 23, 2018
March 30- Staff and Student Holiday
April 10 and April 11- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing (4th and 5th grade testing)
April 14 - WatchDOGS “Daddy-Daughter Dance” will be at JES
April 17- Family Learning Night for Math
April 20- Earth Day Assembly in the Garden – everyone invited!
April 27- Northwest READS – Friday at 9:00 am. We need ONE reader per classroom. Talk to our librarian if you can help!
April 30- Legacy Walk – Seniors from NISD high schools that attended JES will walk the halls in their caps/gowns on Monday at 8:30 am.
May 14 and May 15- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing
May 14- 3rd Grade Math STAAR Testing
May 15- 3rd Grade Reading STAAR Testing
What We Are Learning This Week
- How can I use the standard algorithm to subtract two and three digit numbers?
Below is the multiplication song for students to learn their skip counting! This is a great song to listen to at night or in the car. Open it and save it for easy access!
Articles for this week: "Lizards on the Loose" (Scholastic News), "Becoming Anything He Wants to Be" (Journeys Magazine) and "Stuck by Luck" (Highlights Magazine)
- How do you draw conclusions when reading literary nonfiction text?
- How do you draw conclusions when reading informational text?
- How do you draw conclusions when reading realistic fiction text?
- How does understanding the author's purpose help you when you are reading?
- Why is the FIRE strategy important when taking a reading test?
- How can you improve your narrative writing?
- What is an elaborative detail and why is it important?
- In a narrative, what is the critical character, setting, and object?
- Review sheet sent home Monday
- Vocabulary words are from the articles for the week
- Grammar focus for this week is on determining irrelevant details
- Reviewing prefixes and suffixes
- What are ecosystems?
- How can I explore ecosystems?
We are going to be researching and creating presentations on ecosystems. We will be presenting our projects later in the week.
- Who is Erik Weihenmayer?
- How did he make a difference in his community?
- How does he inspire you in your life?
Have you Ordered a JES Yearbook?
If you forgot, search your emails for firstname.lastname@example.org for a receipt of your online order. Yearbooks are over 72 pages of full color for only $17. Place orders at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/jobSearch/displayHome Code = 20190
Deadline is April 1st.
Parents as Teachers Friday, April 13
If you have a child birth to age 5 and want to meet new people with children of that age group, then join us at playgroup!
There are two options for playtimes at 9:30 am. or 1:00 pm. at the Special Programs Center, 1800 State Highway 114.
Want to know more? Go to www.facebook.com/groups/NISDFamily/
SAVE THE DATE – Family Math Night
April 17th, come and go from 5:00 – 8:00 pm.