Effective Reading and Writing Instruction
-The 3 modeling essentials:
- Specifically model when to use the strategy and why.
- Explicitly model how to use all of the strategy steps.
- Model how to be flexible in strategy selection and application.
-Teachers need to pay attention to how their students are doing with the implementation of strategies. If necessary, teachers should make adjustments or scaffold instruction when necessary.
-THINK ALOUD. This is a great way to allow students to hear the teacher's internal thought process. It is also a great demonstration of what it means to use strategies while learning.
-Use self statements (see picture below)
After seeing the teacher model cognitive strategies, and then practicing on their own, the hope is that eventually, using cognitive learning strategies will become natural for students.
Model self-reinforcement and encourage students to do the same when using a strategy. For example: "I worked really hard on that. I used all steps of the strategy!"
| || |
The Self Regulated Strategy Development model is a great resource for teachers to use when teaching students strategies and self-regulatory skills.
2. What are some ways that you can encourage students to use cognitive strategies outside of the classroom?
3. What can you do to make sure that you are spending enough time on modeling?