The 'Blueprint for Maryland's Future Act' (Blueprint) presents a multi-year pathway of educational reform mandates that impact local education agencies, county governments, and the State of Maryland. A complete compendium of the law can be found here.
At Harford County Public Schools (HCPS), the Blueprint provides a commitment to many areas that align with the Board of Education’s long-term goals.
The implementation structure at HCPS includes a commitment to diverse stakeholders setting our priorities and working through the impact of the law.
The Blueprint legislation contains a significant expansion of prekindergarten education for 3- and 4-year-old children, which includes additional family income eligibility, HCPS full day pre-k programs, and private programs meeting Maryland qualifications. The Blueprint Early Childhood sub-committee is chaired by Susan Brown, Executive Director for Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment, and Deb Merlock, President of Harford County Education Foundation.
Executive Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment - Harford County Public Schools
President & Founder - Harford County Education Foundation
Here are resources to support your knowledge of Blueprint Early Childhood:
- A one-page printable overview of Blueprint Early Childhood at HCPS.
- A short video (3 minutes) introducing the Blueprint Early Childhood sub-committee:
The Blueprint legislation contains requirements for school districts to have certain college and career readiness pathways, which align and support the HCPS North Star initiative for graduate outcomes. The Blueprint North Star sub-committee is chaired by Mike O’Brien, Executive Director of Middle & High School Performance, and Bill Seccurro, Chair of the Harford Business Roundtable for Education Executive Committee.
Executive Director of Middle & High School Performance - Harford County Public Schools
Chair of the Executive Committee - Harford Business Roundtable for Education
Here are resources to support your knowledge of Blueprint North Star:
- A one-page printable overview of Blueprint North Star at HCPS.
- A short video (3 minutes) introducing the Blueprint North Star sub-committee:
The Blueprint legislation contains requirements for school districts to provide more support to students who need it the most. The Blueprint Student Supports sub-committee is chaired by Buck Hennigan, Executive Director of Student Support Services, and Bari Klein, Executive Director of Healthy Harford.
Here are resources to support your knowledge of Blueprint Student Supports:
- A one-page printable overview of Blueprint Student Supports at HCPS.
- A short video (2 minutes) introducing the Blueprint Student Supports sub-committee:
The Blueprint legislation contains requirements for school districts to create a Career Ladder to elevate the teaching profession, to encourage qualified teachers to stay in the classroom, and to ensure diversity within our staff. The Blueprint Career Ladder sub-committee is chaired by Mae Alfree, Director of Staff & Labor Relations and Toni Shivery, Vice President of Human Resources, University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health.
Director - Staff & Labor Relations - Harford County Public Schools
Vice President of Human Resources - University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health
Here are resources to support your knowledge of Blueprint Career Ladder:
- A one-page printable overview of Blueprint Career Ladder at HCPS.
- A short video (2 minutes) introducing the Blueprint Career Ladder sub-committee:
Spotlight: The Accountability and Implementation Board’s (AIB) Summer Meetings Schedule
Meetings can be joined through the Maryland General Assembly Calendar on their website.
Thursday, June 16, 1:30 p.m.
Pillar Three: College and Career Readiness (including Career and Technical Education)
Pillar Five: Governance and Accountability
Thursday, June 23, 1:30 p.m.
Pillar One: Early Childhood
Pillar Four: More Resources for Students Who Need Them
Thursday, June 30, 1:30 p.m.
Pillar Two: High-Quality and Diverse Teachers and Leaders
Please reach out with any questions!
We Are Here
Contacts & More Information
The following contacts may be useful:
- Director of Strategic Initiatives: Katie.Ridgway@hcps.org
- Strategic Initiatives Administrative Assistant: Ashley.Bowley@hcps.org
- Career Ladder Sub-committee HCPS Co-chair: Mae.Alfree@hcps.org
- Student Supports Sub-committee HCPS Co-chair: Bernard.Hennigan@hcps.org
- North Star Sub-committee HCPS Co-chair: Mike.OBrien@hcps.org
- Early Childhood Sub-committee HCPS Co-chair: Susan.Brown@hcps.org
June 1, 2022