MAV Weekly January 7, 2022
Mountain View High School
Mountain View Mavericks
Main Office- (208) 855-4050
Attendance Line- (208) 855-4063
Transportation Questions- (208) 229-8500
January 10-13- Finals week
January 13- Last day of Semester 1
January 14- No School
January 17- No School- Human Rights Day Observed
January 18- 1st Day of Semester 2
February 21- No School- President's Day Observed
February 25- No School- Collaboration Day
May 28 @ 11AM, Ford Idaho Center
Feeling Ill, Please Stay Home
Please see the childhood illness page to help you decide if you should come to school or not. If you stay home, a guardian should call the school's attendance line and let them know you are out for illness. Then students should check teams for assignments and work on class work.
January Tireless Teacher Award
What Students Said About Mrs. Mouw for Tireless Teacher:
- She is always going above and beyond for her students, coming in over breaks and staying long after school for firing and helping with projects.
- Mrs. Mouw is super nice and always helps me with my work. She has been through a lot and still manages to help us students
- Because any question I have, she is always there to answer it. She is great at teaching and lets us learn at our own pace too.
- She's the ceramics teacher and she works tirelessly to make sure that we have out needed materials in order to do what we need. She comes in early to make clay for us to use, and she stays late after school to finish out projects in the kiln. She works her butt off and I feel like she really deserves for it to be shown.
- She does so much for the class and is always coming in after school and stuff
Student Art in the Halls
MVHS Advanced Opportunities Night
MVHS Advanced Opportunities Night-JANUARY 19th 6:00-7:00PM
If you or your student have questions regarding AP or dual credit classes, AVID, or Fast Forward funding, come to our Advanced Opportunities night!
Link HERE for more information.
Be On Time!
We have been notifying your students and asking them to serve off tardies before the end of semester. Please click on the total number of tardies your student has in Power School. If your student has more than 3 tardies (T or TL) in a class, he/she will need to serve detention until the number is back to or below 3 per class. We only have 3 lunch detentions left in Semester 1. If your student has excessive tardies, he/she will need to make arrangements with the grade level Vice Principal.
Guardians and students, being on time is important. There are a handful of students in the hallways after the final bell has rung. The majority of tardies are seen 1st period and 3rd period. Please plan ahead and leave for school earlier and modify lunch plans to not be late. Please monitor your student's PowerSchool weekly to check their grades, attendance and tardies.
We play music with 2 minutes remaining in the passing period, this is the signal to students that class is starting soon. Students, please be on time. Guardians, please speak with your student about the importance of not being late.
Lunch detention for 4 or more tardies. The limit per class is 3.
Lunch detention is served on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Looking for score updates, schedules, and rosters? Check the Southern Idaho Conference webpage here
Many of our athletic events are streamed live online. Visit the NFHS network to watch the Mavs in action. High School Sports Online - Stream Live & On Demand (nfhsnetwork.com)
Interested in donating to Mountain View athletics? Click here
See Something- Say Something
Safety is our top priority!
If you see something happening that is unsafe, we would like you to report it, you can do so from our homepage. Look for the icon shown here.
You can also report something directly, here.
Hats, Hoods and Head Coverings
Students, please do not wear hats, hoods or head coverings in the hallways or the classrooms.
Mountain View has multiple positions open, including custodial staff, ParaPro, and teachers.
Please click the link above to view all positions currently open please go here if you are interested.
Thank you for considering joining our MAV family!
2022 District of Idaho/Ninth Circuit Civics Contest
Each year, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit conducts an essay and video civics contest for high school students. Students enter the contest through their state’s District Court. Below, please find the District of Idaho flyer for the contest. The United States District Court for the District of Idaho will conduct a local contest to select finalists for the Circuit-wide competition. To enter the local contest, students must reside in the State of Idaho. Local district winners in each category will receive prizes of $1,000 for 1st place, $500 for 2nd place, and $250 for 3rd place.
In past years, the District of Idaho has had limited entries, which means those students who enter the contest have a great chance of winning prize money and being entered into the Ninth Circuit contest.
See flyer for additional information.
Please check PowerSchool regularly to monitor your student's grades, attendance and tardies.
January 13, 2022 marks the end of first semester, when grades are final. If students need academic support, see the academic support section in the newsletter for MAV time and tutoring opportunities.
Students have been given notice if they are exceeding tardies. Students are allowed 3 tardies per class, any beyond 3 requires a lunch detention be served. Lunch detention is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each month. Please help your student check so they don't lose credit.
Thanks for supporting your student(s).
CPR & AED Training
The MVHS library is open from 7:10am-3:00pm resources we offer:
Quiet Study Areas
Simple Tech Support
and of course… books!
All digital resources available on Teams with Join code: c7c3qnl
Students may participate in the Idaho Teen Reading Challenge.
Pick up a flyer or bookmark in the library and be entered to win one of 3 $100 gift cards.
- Taking a Trip or Vacation? If you know you are going to pull your student out of school for a trip or vacation, or any extended period of time, please have your student pick up a Pre-Approved Absence sheet from the main office. This helps us track attendance and helps your student get organized in their classes prior to being gone.
- If you need to check your student out, please do so by calling the attendance office ahead of time. To get your student out of class, please call 45 minutes prior to the time you will be here to pick them up. If your student has an appointment in the morning, please call the day prior to the appointment. We appreciate your support!
- If a student is absent please call the attendance line to report their absence.
- Students that are in quarantine will attend school remotely and will not be marked absent.
- Our school funding this year is based on attendance. Absences = less money for Mountain View High School. Please be in class. Teachers will be instructing bell to bell for maximized learning opportunities.
- Attendance Line- (208) 855-4063
Safety First - Parking Lot
Stop signs mean STOP. Drivers are only allowed to roll through the stop sign when they are actively being signaled to do so by Admin, Security or our SRO, after school.
Parking lot safety needs to be a priority for everyone. Please stay under 15mp while driving on campus. Please be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to pedestrians. Please do not park in the fire lanes, at any time, even after school hours. This includes stopping momentarily and/or dropping students off.
MAV TIME: See Your Teachers Before School For Extra Help
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from 7:10-7:40am is MAV time.
Students can make arrangements to see their teachers or stop by their room for help.
Saturday Tutoring: enter through the back of the school, new wing
Synchronous Instruction- Students out for Illness
The high school principals and the school district have determined that we would provide the following consistent practices in all of our buildings when a student is on quarantine.
- All assignments / resources on TEAMS - TEAMS structure is consistent within each building
- Synchronous learning opportunities are provided for students during direct instruction
- Assessments will be taken in the building
Tips and Tricks for Students at Home
1. Go to Teams
2. Check Weekly Agenda – follow directions
3. Complete tasks – Join class on time, if live
4. Submit work according to class instructions
5. Still confused? Email your teacher (use school email, include period in subject line, ask a specific question)
Idaho Standards Command Responses for Schools
Substitutes Needed: Parents, Please Consider Subbing for MVHS
We are in a district wide sub shortage. Please consider signing up to be a substitute teacher for West Ada School District. If you want to make arrangements to sub for MVHS, this can be worked out.
Check out substitute information here.
A bonus will be given each month if you work 10 full days or more.
$100 for 10-14 full days worked; $200 for 15 full days or more worked.
Parent Craft Course
Parent CRAFT by cadence online is a fast paced interactive video based course designed to equip parents with the communication skills they need to help cope with tough topics such as youth substance abuse.
DrugFree Idaho is excited to for the opportunity to provide this $200 course to Idaho residents for FREE. Go to www.drugfreeidaho.org to access this amazing resource today and please share with others.
We also welcome you to view our website and provide any feedback there as well.
Feel free to email:
Scot Montoya: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don Dicus: email@example.com (website)
Karen Rice: firstname.lastname@example.org (newsletter)