Davis Counseling Center Newsletter
In This Issue:
Seniors - May 1 Deadline Information
ALL NUAMES Graduation Items To Complete by May 1
- Be passing current classes
- Complete ALL credit recovery
- Complete Northridge Learning Center packets (or work through other private schools) & have transcript sent to NUAMES
- Pay outstanding fees to the office or on myDSD
- Complete Senior EXIT SURVEY
- Make up all U's and pay $10 fee per U to main office
Senior Steps to Complete for College Transition
- Prepare for College Decision Day on May 1
- Confirm enrollment with college once decision is made
- Order final TRANSCRIPT on NUAMES.org under Quick Links once your final grades have posted
- Send College Transcripts to future college for CE credits
- Send test scores from MyACT.org and College Board
- Complete Housing Application, if applicable
- READ EMAILS from your future college and complete any tasks
- Complete steps to confirm Financial Aid
- Register For and Attend New Student Orientation
Early College Application Deadline - May 1st
For Students Applying to Start Early College Fall 2023
- Review NUAMES Early College Application Steps
- Read through the EARLY COLLEGE STUDENT GUIDE
- Apply for Admissions as an Early College student
- Meet with your NUAMES School Counselor to complete Counselor Contract
- Complete mandatory WSU New Student Orientation (see Weber email for instructions)
- Student and Parent/Guardian meet with WSU Dual Enrollment Advisor
Once Approved for Early College, REGISTER FOR WSU FALL 2023 CLASSES
- Find CLASS REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS in the Early College Student Guide (link above)
- Go to Section 5 in the Guide = Early College Resources
Not Applying for Early College? Meet with CE Advising!
- Understand CE credits by going to Concurrent Enrollment Information website
- Start HERE for information about CE Advising
- CE Advising helps you to understand what is involved in earning a WSU Associate's degree and how you can obtain this through CE classes
- Go to the Concurrent Enrollment Advising page for instructions on setting up an appointment
- Can opt to do a GROUP CE Advising Event instead
Weber State CE Graduation Open House for NUAMES Seniors
Weber State is hosting a Graduation Celebration event on Wednesday April 12th, 12 to 7pm in the D3/Stewart Ballroom!!! This event is for CE and Early College students.
Things to note that will be there:
- Caps and Gowns for both Associates Degree and Certificate of Completion.
- Cords for students who completed their degree via CE only (with or without AP).
- Additional Early College medallions for those who may need it - EC students will continue to be given these awards in lieu of the cords to further distinguish them.
- A reserved booth for NUAMES to celebrate your students and to distribute stoles/sashes.
- An area to still complete graduation steps for those who have not (applying to graduate, status switch, etc.).
- Games, prizes, music, food, Weber swag, and WSU colleges/departments.
🌟🌟 It is not necessary for a student to be graduating with a Weber credential to come;
we will celebrate all CE students who come! 🌟🌟
Weber State Graduation Open House for All WSU Spring Graduates
Master of Computer Engineering: Orange Master of Electrical Engineering: Orange Bachelor of Electrical Engineering: Orange Associate of Pre-Engineering: Orange Master of Nurse Practitioner: Apricot Master of Respiratory Therapy: Sage Green Master of Bachelor of Health Administrative Services: Salmon Bachelor of Public Health: Salmon Master of Athletic Training: Sage Green Bachelor
How To Talk To Your Teen About Marijuana Use
Did You Know What Marijuana Use Does to Teens?
- Memory Loss
- Anxiety and Depression
- Distraction/Loss of Focus
- Decline in IQ
- Higher Chance of Dropping Out of School
- Poor Judgment
- Suicidal Ideation
- Even Psychosis!
New Resource for Parents
- Mental Health agencies across Utah partnered on a brand new website
Absences - When To Worry?
For Students To Think About
- Showing up every day is a skill you are developing for life and work
- School only gets harder when you skip a class
- If you think missing a day here or there won't matter, think again
- Did you know students who miss 10 or more days during a school year are less like to graduate high school or ever enroll in college?
For Parents To Think About
- All parents have hopes and dreams for their children!
- Did you know that students who miss as little as two days a month are at risk of not graduating from high school?
- Chronic Absences = absent for 10% of school days, regardless of reason (18 days total or averaging 2 days per month)
- Even though some work is on Canvas, your student can't make up for too many absences with just Canvas work
Visit https://www.attendanceworks.org/resources/handouts-for-families/ for more information
If You Have Challenges Getting to School...
If you have obstacles such as transportation problems, bullies at school, etc. TALK to your School Counselor for advice!
Next Mandatory Seminars
- Apr 3-7: Spring Break! 🌷💗
- Apr 12: WSU CE Graduation 👩🎓Open House for SENIORS 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Apr 13: Culture Club Multicultural Youth Leadership Virtual Event 9:00-11:00 AM
- Apr 25: Juniors Mandatory Lunch Seminar D3 Ballroom
- Apr 25-28: WSU Class Finals
- Apr 26: Seniors Mandatory Lunch Seminar in D3 Ballroom
- Apr 27: Sophomores Mandatory Lunch Seminar in D3 Ballroom
- Apr 28: Weber State Graduation 👏👩🎓
- May 1: College Decision Day for Seniors Lunch D3 Ballroom 🤷♂️
- May 1: Summer School Registration Opens http://www.nuamescounseling.com/summer-online-courses.html
- May 1: Deadline to Complete Early College Application Process
- May 5: Senior Cotillion 7:00-9:30 PM
- May 6: Hill Air Force Base WiSE Event 10:00-2:00
- May 8: Multicultural Night 5:00-7:00 PM
- May 18: Senior Awards Assembly 9:00-11:00 AM
- May 18: Graduation Practice (Time TBD) Dee Events Center
- May 19: Joint Graduation Davis and North Campuses 👨🎓👩🎓
- May 24: Sophomore and Junior Awards Assembly
- May 26: Last Day of School
Student & Parent Opportunities
Seeking Students for Multicultural Night
- Culture Club is hosting a Multicultural Night on May 8th, 5:00-7:00 PM.
- We are seeking cultural PERFORMERS or students to set up a TABLE ABOUT A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.
- Please see QR code below to complete a form if you are willing to help with either a table or performance!
NUAMES Counseling Team