News from GT
Please Take Totems Home
Still Need Magazines
Cuba Trip Information Meeting
The trip to Cuba is scheduled for June 25 - July 3, 2016. Details about, price itinerary and more can be found on our trip site.
Students may stay after school to work on homework and change. We will have a catered dinner from Mandola's at 5:00. Afterward, we will depart on buses to The Long Center for the performance, which begins at 7:00.
The cost for the bus will be $5 per person, and the cost for the meal will be $15 per person. Meal options are:
- Meat: Chicken Penne Alfredo
- Vegetarian: Cheese Ravioli with Marinara
- Gluten-Free: Gluten-Free Spaghetti with Marinara
All meals will include salad, bread, and bottled water.
If your child plans to attend, please do the following:
This Week's Mind Benders
1. A man stands on one side of a river, his dog on the other. The man calls his dog, who immediately crosses the river without getting wet and without using a bridge or a boat. How did the dog do it?
2. A sundial has the fewest moving parts of any timepiece. Which has the most?
3. What is unusual about the following words: revive, banana, grammar, voodoo, assess, potato, dresser, uneven?
4. What makes this number unique — 8,549,176,320?
5. Put a coin into an empty bottle and insert a cork into the neck. How can you remove the coin without removing the cork or breaking the bottle?
6. Two boxers are in a match scheduled for 12 rounds (Pure boxing only – no kicking, UFC takedowns, or anything else). One of the boxers gets knocked out after only six rounds, yet no man throws a punch. How is this possible?
7. In 1990, a person is 15 years old. In 1995, that same person is 10 years old. How can this be?
8. A man takes his car to a hotel. Upon reaching the hotel, he is immediately declared bankrupt. Why?
9. What do these words have in common: polish, job, herb?
10. You’re standing in a hallway with three light switches on the wall, each of which turns on a different lamp inside a closed room. You can’t see inside the room, and you can’t open the door except to enter the room. You can enter the room only once, and when you do, all the lamps must be turned off. How can you tell which switch turns on which lamp?
Texas Book Festival
The Texas Book Festival is celebrating its 20th Anniversary. The Festival is free and open to the public and takes place at the State Capitol and surrounding grounds. The 2015 Texas Book Festival will be held October 17 – 18, 2015. The Festival from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Sunday.
If you have never gone, there are events for people of all ages on a wide variety of topics. Of special interest is the "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" lit crawl featuring YA authors.
*Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Lit Crawl Austin session)
Saturday, 7:30- 8:15 p.m. at the Texas State Cemetery (909 Navasota St.)
Part of the Lit Crawl Austin activities, this late-night ghost story event is for all ages. YA authors Jake Halpern, Stephen Graham Jones, Peter Kujawinski, Nova Ren Suma and April Genevieve Tucholke will tell gripping, eerie, and spooky tales. The cemetery can be dark—bring a flashlight!
More information about the festival can be found on the Texas Book Festival website.
This Week's Mind Bender (Answers)
1. The river was frozen.
2. An hourglass, with thousands of grains of sand.
3. Take the first letter of each word and place it at the end. It will spell the same word backwards.
4. It contains each number, zero through nine, in alphabetical order.
5. Push the cork down into the bottle. Then shake the coin out.
6. Both boxers are female.
7. The person was born in 2005 B.C.
8. The man is playing Monopoly. He lands on a property with a hotel and doesn’t have enough money to pay the rent.
9. All three words are pronounced differently when the first letter is capitalized.
10. Turn on the right switch and leave it on for two minutes. After two minutes, turn on the middle switch and leave it on for one minute. When that minute is up, turn off both switches and enter the room. One light bulb will be hot (1st switch) and one will be warm (2nd switch). The cold bulb will correspond to the switch you didn’t turn on.
Green, Holly. "10 Brain Teasers to Stretch Your Brain." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 6 Nov. 2012. Web. 09 Oct. 2015.