We Are Tamanend Together!
May 26, 2023
Tamanend Marching Band To Perform in Doylestown Memorial Day Parade
This Monday, May 29th, the Tamanend Marching Band will once again be taking to the streets of Doylestown participating in Doylestown’s Memorial Day Parade, which boasts to be the longest running Memorial Day Parade dating back to 1868. This historic parade begins at CB West High School at 10am and will end at the Doylestown Cemetery on East Court Street. We hope to see lots of familiar faces on the parade route cheering us on. Good luck Tamanend Marchers!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Deadline to Order Tamanend Yearbook--Last opportunity to order a yearbook (details below)
No School for Students--Friday, May 26
School Holiday (Memorial Day)--Monday, May 29
9th Grade Move Up Program at CB South--Wednesday, May 31 (details below)
Freshman Celebration--Friday, June 9 7:30 PM to 10:00 (details below)
Freshman Day--Wednesday, June 14--during school day (details below)
Final Awards & Closing Ceremony / Last Day of School--Thursday, June 15
- Boys who are currently in 8th or 9th Grades and interested in playing Soccer for CB South next year are encouraged to reach out to Coach Pettican at KPETTICAN@CBSD.ORG and provide your name, grade, and email address. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall.
- On Friday April 21, the CB Titan wrestling program started hosting FREE Friday night sessions for all interested student grades K thru 6 for 7 whole weeks. These sessions combine wrestling-based drills along with gymnastic style games to not only introduce the sport to your child but begin forging the basic skills of our sport into our future wrestlers. Click HERE for details.
- Congratulations to 7th Grade Baseball player Grace Murray whose story was recently featured on 6abc news! https://6abc.com/tamanend-middle-school-baseball-grace-murray-warrington-central-bucks-district/13284838/
- Congratulations to the following CB South Ice Hockey award winners:
- Ryan Frey - Rookie of The Year
- Jamison Crouch - MVP Defense
- Damien Hauck - Most Improved Player
- Ryan Frey - Titan Award
- Middle School:
- Gavin Ostrobrod - MVP Defense
- Nate Pinchuk - Titan Award
- It is becoming increasingly difficult to secure officials/referees/umpires in all sports, and this issue is anticipated to get worse over the next several years. The PIAA is looking to build its officials ranks. If interested, please visit Become an Official - PIAA. Additionally, students who are 16 years old or older have a special opportunity from the PIAA. The PIAA has waived the fee for its Junior Officials Program. All students who go through the course will then have the opportunity to make money officiating middle school through 9th grade sports. For more information, please visit Junior Officials Program.pdf (piaa.org).
· If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- CB South Golf will be holding an interest meeting on Wednesday May 31 beginning at 3:00 in the Forum Room at CB South. Email Coach Hill for more details - email@example.com.
- Any 9th Graders interested in joining the CB South Cross Country Team should attend the interest meeting at CB South on June 6, 2023. The meeting will take place in classroom D204 and go from 3:15-4pm. Any questions please contact Coach Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Open gyms for boys basketball for 8th graders and above started Thursday, April 13 from 6:30 to 8:30 at CB South.
- Boys interested in playing soccer for CB South next year are encouraged to reach out to Coach Pettican at KPETTICAN@CBSD.ORG and provide your name, grade, and email address. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall.
Monday, May 29
- No school/No contests
Tuesday, May 30
- No contests
Wednesday, May 31
- Boys lacrosse: Post-Season Tournament Semi-finals (3:15); Opponent/Location TBD
Thursday, June 1
- No contests
Friday, June 2
- Boys lacrosse: Post-Season Tournament Finals vs. TBD @ the Pettine Complex at CB West (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15 **if qualifying**
A Reminder for Students Staying After School to Watch Athletic Competitions
Students who stay after school to watch games are expected to be at the field/court to support our teams. Walking around campus and/or inside the school is not permitted. When watching games, students are reminded to be positive, respectful, and well-behaved as there are other students, parents, grandparents, officials, etc. who are in attendance and have come to expect mature and appropriate behavior from Tamanend students. When games finish, spectators are not permitted to use fields or other facilities. Arrangements should be made ahead of time for students to be picked up from Tamanend by 4:30. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Your cooperation is appreciated.
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
CB South Move-Program for Current 9th Graders is May 31
On Wednesday, May 31, our 9th Grade students will participate in a “Move-Up” program at CB South. The program will take place from approximately 9:15 to 10:30. The purpose of the program is to further acclimate our 9th Graders to CB South. We will transport students to and from CB South, on school buses. Students received a permission form earlier this week. Please complete and sign the permission form and give it to your child to return to their I&E teacher next week.
Tamanend Talent Show is Friday, June 9
Freshman Celebration is Friday, June 9 from 7:30 PM to 10:00 PM
We are holding our evening Freshman Celebration on Friday, June 9. Join us for an evening of music, dancing, food, and fun! Please note that this is not a prom. Students are encouraged to dress nicely, but do not have to dress for a formal. Students do not need a date to attend. The cost is $21. Tickets and permission forms are now available on MyPaymentsPlus. Registration will close on June 6, 2023.
Freshman Day is Wednesday, June 14 during School Day at Camp America
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Mandala Coloring Enrichment During Tiger's i
Origami Enrichment Activity During Tiger's i
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
Tamanend Players Host the Annual "Tammies"
Tamanend Players celebrated the award season by hosting the annual Tammies this past week. A lot of fun and wonderful memories were highlighted as we looked back at Mary Poppins. The directors want to thank our 3-year Tamanend Players for being such a great influence and inspiration to all, and we wish them luck at South!
Current 8th Graders--Are You Interested in Running for a Student Council Officer Position?
Student Council is excited to begin the election process for the 2023-2024 9th grade class officers. Are you interested in being a leader of your 9th grade class? Do you want to be a part of the planning process for Tamanend dances, special events and fundraisers?
If you are interested in running to be a 9th grade class officer next year, we are asking that you do the following:
- Complete the nomination form which can be picked up outside of Ms. Vitacco’s room, Room 225
- Drop off your completed nomination form to Ms. Vitacco (Room 225) or Madame Orinski (Room 212)
We are asking that you submit your completed nomination form to Ms. Vitacco or Madame Orinski by Monday, June 5th at noon.
We are so excited for this year’s elections! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Ms. Vitacco and Madame Orinski
A Reminder About the Morning Car Line
Reminder--Pennsylvania Seal of Biliteracy
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
FROM OUR MUSIC DEPARTMENT
Music Showcase Festival
The music department had a very successful trip to the Music Showcase Festival’s Dorney Park Adjudication last Friday. The five groups performed extremely well and were model examples both on stage and as audience members as noted by the tour company president. Each group, including: Tamanend’s String Ensemble, Gold’n’Blues and Chieftain choruses, the Wind Ensemble and the Jazz Band were awarded with the highest rank of Superior on the Music Showcase Rubric. There were many soloists recognized during the awards ceremony. Congratulations to Anastasia Williams, Artemis marks, Callie MacClay, Greg Matczak, Angel Giron Camacho, and Hannah Kauffman for their individual solos. And congratulations to Brianna Lucas and Kiera Endy for their vocal duet. Tamanend also brought home many section awards. A shout out to the Brass and Rhythm sections from the Jazz Band, the Violin section from the String Ensemble, and the Saxophone and High Brass sections from the Wind Ensemble. Awesome work!
Two extra awards are given at the end of the awards ceremony for the highest scoring choral and instrumental groups heard throughout the morning of competition. Congratulation to the Chieftain chorus and the Jazz Band for winning both of these awards; you should be extremely proud of yourself!
Valley Square/Mod Pizza Fundraiser Performance
CB South Marching Titans Mini Clinics
Calling all 2023/2024 9th – 12th graders! Are you interested in learning more about joining the Marching Titans? Join us for our 2023 Spring Mini-Clinics this May/June to learn more about what it’s like to be a member of the Central Bucks South Marching Titans! The six clinics will focus on various aspects of what it’s like to be a member of CBSMT and provide students a detailed look into what Marching Band is all about. Come join us for as many of our clinics and you can to get an in-depth look into what it’s like to be part of one of the greatest shows on turf!!! To learn more please CLICK HERE or visit bit.ly/CBSMTmini2023 to fill out our interest form! You can also follow us on social media @cbsouthbands to learn more! Can’t wait to see you all soon, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at email@example.com!
UPCOMING DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Reminder--Warrington Warriors Football and Cheerleading Seasons Begin August 1
Reminder--CBSD Summer Camp
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Bus
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- Verifications for current 7th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Thursday, February 16th.
- Verifications for current 8th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Tuesday, February 28th.
- Verifications for current 9th Grade students were posted in the Parent Portal on Friday, March 17th and are to be confirmed by Wednesday, March 29th. (If using the Parent Portal app, select the menu and go to “More”, then “Backpack” in order to view and confirm.)
- The CB South Curriculum Fair for next year's 10th Graders was held on Thursday, January 5th. CB South's Program Planning & Curriculum page contains videos from across their various departments and can help give a sense of their offerings. Paramount to the high school transition are relationships and connectedness. Tamanend and CB South counselors will continue to plan and program for relationship-building opportunities as your child transitions to high school, including the forthcoming program planning assembly with high school and middle school counselors, curriculum fair, Q&A with high school counselors during the Intervention and Enrichment time, and welcome days at the high schools. We will share more information about these exciting events soon. Please reach out to your child’s counselor for additional assistance and information as we work together to support this transition.
- MBIT’s Open House was held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) to see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer.
- MBIT offers a Summer Exploration Program. Information can be found at Summer Career Exploration Program / Overview (mbit.org).
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
Reminder--If Your Child's Laptop Screen Breaks
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) email@example.com
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) email@example.com
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Hartz, Secretary email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900