World War II Project
By: Olivia, Tony, Kevin, and Micah.
Battle Of Pear Harbor
The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike conducted by the imperial Japanese navy on the U.S naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. It took place on December 7th, 1941. Franklin D. Roosevelt was a leader during this time and said something that is considered to be quite inspirational, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.". The Japanese only lost roughly 100 mean, while the U.S lost over 2,500. Osami Nagano was the organizer of the attack and had been planning it for over a year.
Battle Of Midway
On June 6, 1944 , Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy. We lost 10,000 troops in the battle. D-Day had a major impact on the way we think about War now. General Dwight D. Eisenhower was a supreme power during the time of the attack. He later became our president and was in office from 1953 to 1961.
General Hideki Tojo
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Omar N. Bradley
Dropping the bomd
- Brought Imperial Japan to its senses. They, both the government and the people, honestly believed that they could win WWII. In fact, we'd destroyed their Navy, we beat them in every land conflict in which we engaged them, and we knocked them out of the sky. No matter what they threw at us, we clobbered them. With no military left to speak of, their final defense was to be the people of Japan were we to invade. They wouldn't have given up until they were all dead.
- The use of "the bomb" saved hundreds of thousands of Allied lives. It also saved the lives of most of the people of Japan by forcing their government to admit defeat.
- It showed the world the terrible destructive power of "the bomb." While this might be considered "immediate", the effects are very long term. The world saw the utter destruction the bombs caused and nobody has used them since.
- The display of power so demoralized the Japanese, they were rather meek for a long time. This allowed the Democratic reforms put in place by the US to take hold.
Common infantry during WWII (our something extra)
- Long range and heavy load bombers were used for the first time
- Tanks were being used
- Aircrafts were improved dramatically so they were being used more because people actually trusted them.
- The U.S had the first bomber fleet.
- Submarines had started being used more