The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
Happy Thanksgiving Crossroads South! In the spirit of being thankful, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to our faculty, staff, students, and especially YOU, our highly supportive parents. Thank you for all that you do to create a full and complete community at Crossroads South. We wish you wonderful Thanksgiving weekend filled with family and friends! :)
- FALL CONFERENCES: xx
- HALLOWEEN: xx
- FREEDOM TO FAIL PARENT ACADEMY: Please join the South Brunswick Parent Academy on 12/1 at CROSSROADS NORTH (7pm) for the workshop, FREEDOM TO FAIL. I am actually co-presenting this session with Kimberly White and Neel Desai. We will share strategies on how to teach our children how to successfully fail and most importantly, how to get back up and be even stronger as a result!
- CHANGE IN DISMISSAL: If you are planning to pick your child up early, please send in a note alerting the school using our CHANGE OF DISMISSAL FORM.
- ATTENDANCE: Daily attendance in school is a critical factor in the success of your child. Please do your best to minimize the number of days your child is absent from school or is taken out early for appointments. Should your child exceed the number of acceptable days absent as determined by NJ State Law, you will receive a letter from the school.
- BUS REMINDERS: Please note: Students are NOT allowed to ride any other busses, even if a parent gives permission. The transportation department does not allow this practice, as they cannot plan for additional students riding our already full busses.
- 11/23 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Thanksgiving Weekend
- 11/24 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 11/25 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 11/29 - Hugs for Brady Fundraiser (Light Show)
- 12/1 - SB Parent Academy - Freedom to Fail - 7pm @ XRDN
- 12/5 - BOE Meeting - 7pm
- 12/6 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Professional Development
- 12/7 - PTO Meeting @ North - 7pm
- 12/9 - PATTERNS Assembly
- 12/12 - Trimester 2 Begins
- 12/13 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES - Orchestra @ South 7pm
- 12/15 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES - Band @ SBHS 7pm
- 12/19 - BOE Meeting 7pm
- 12/20 - WINTER CONCERT SERIES - Choir @ SBHS 7pm
- 12/22 - 7th Grade Trip to Franklin Institute
- 12/22 - T1 Report Cards Mailed
- 12/23 - LAST DAY BEFORE WINTER BREAK
- 12/26 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 12/27 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 12/28 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 12/29 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 12/30 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 1/2 - NO SCHOOL - WINTER BREAK
- 1/3 - WELCOME Back 2017!
- SELF REGULATION PART II: "Self-Regulation" refers to our ability to monitor and control our behaviors and emotions. In essence, self -regulation is the ability to practice self-control, inhibition, and persistance through a task despite its difficulty and lack of enjoyment. Self-regulated learning strategies help to prepare learners for lifelong learning and the important capacity to transfer skills, knowledge, and abilities from one setting to another. Further reading: http://nurtureandthriveblog.com/the-most-important-skill-to-teach-children/
WELLNESS PART II & CULTURE/CLIMATE: The district has taken on the challenge to promote wellness and healthy living throughout our professional and personal work. Many teachers have infused "wellness" strategies into his/her classrooms and will continue to do so. In addition, as part of the social/emotional wellness of our students, our school has engaged in the critical work of assessing our school culture and climate in terms of positive behavioral supports and anti-bullying. As we seek to include more student voice in the government of our school, we want to continually work to provide a safe and caring environment for all.
VERTICAL ARTICULATION: Being in the middle is never easy. We can often feel squeezed from both sides. The goal of Vertical Articulation is to ensure the safe and methodical passage of our students throughout the three distinct levels in the district; elementary, middle, and high. Our teachers have already begun the work of aligning practice, curriculum, and expectations for this very purpose and we will continue to study the ways we can create even more smooth transitions.
FROM THE COUNSELORS...
Welcome to a wonderful school year! We have had a great FALL and we are eager to support your children in any way possible. Please feel free to reach out with any concerns.
Aurora - 6th
- Thank you to all of the parent volunteers and Mrs. Ernst for the organization and support of this year's Book Fair. It was a wonderful event that also brought in food for the SB Food Pantry.
- Thank you for all of the donations to the clothing drive! We brought in over $600!
MEADOW FARMS ONLINE SALE
- Please help support Crossroads Middle Schools with a fundraiser at Meadow Farms. All proceeds will be used for student’s activities such as Patterns Assembly, Author Visits, assemblies etc. The sale will continue until December 16th just in time for some holiday shopping.Please follow this link for South: https://shop.meadowfarms.com/index.asp?PID=1074078
HUGS FOR BRADY LIGHT SHOW
- The Hugs for Brady's Holiday Light Show will be donating 10% of Crossroads Middle School back to the school for anyone who attends on November 29th, 2016. Please see the Friday Folder flyer for more information!